Pain relief pre root canal.

About 3 months ago I had a filling in one of my upper teeth, around 3 weeks ago I have had progressively more pain, I went to dentist who said the filling was deep and close to the nerve, and it may need a root canal or extraction, this dentist has now gone and I can't get an appointment till 30 aug, there are emergency surgery's but I think they just do extractions, my question is, is it possible to get some kind of pain relief in the tooth for.like a month before I can get it root canal, and crown, I am with a NHS practice, also the pain comes and goes but when it comes it hurts, and I take Ibuprofen.

I have had a course of antibiotics from gp as initially thought it might be a sinus infection, I think the dentist has basically drilled to far and damaged the nerve, I really don't want to have the tooth extracted, but I can't live with this pain for another month.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You can ask the dentist to perform an emergency endo treatment in order to remove the nerve, and then save up to do the root canal procedure at another dentist, if they don't do root canal treatments themselves. The only other medication that might work, is anything anti-inflammatory, which you are already taking.

Vote:
It's important to consult with a dentist for personalized advice, especially if you're experiencing pain.
Over-the-Counter Pain Relief: Continue taking over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen as directed on the label to help manage the pain and inflammation. Make sure to follow the recommended dosage and consult a healthcare professional if you have any concerns.
  1. Topical Analgesics: You can ask your pharmacist about topical oral analgesics or gels that are designed to provide temporary relief from oral pain. These might provide some localized relief.
  2. Temporary Filling Material: Some pharmacies offer temporary dental filling kits. These can be used to cover the exposed area of the tooth temporarily, providing a barrier against sensitivity and reducing pain. However, this is not a long-term solution, and you should still seek professional dental care.
  3. Cold Compress: Applying a cold compress to the outside of your cheek where the painful tooth is located might help reduce inflammation and provide temporary relief.
  4. Maintain Oral Hygiene: Be sure to maintain good oral hygiene by gently brushing and flossing the area around the tooth. Keeping the area clean can help prevent further irritation.
  5. Avoid Trigger Foods and Drinks: Avoid extremely hot, cold, sweet, or acidic foods and drinks, as they might exacerbate the pain.
  6. Elevate Your Head While Sleeping: Elevating your head slightly while sleeping might help reduce blood flow to the area, which could potentially alleviate some of the discomfort.
  7. Consult an Emergency Clinic: If the pain becomes unbearable or there are signs of infection (swelling, fever), you might consider visiting an emergency dental clinic. While they often focus on extractions, they might still be able to provide you with temporary relief or advice.

Vote:

Ask a Question