Pain After Tooth Extraction

A week ago today I had molar #19 pulled due to a horrible toothache. Turns out there was a small abscese in the root of the tooth. The dentist while pulling the tooth out broke the bone in my gum socket(from the sound of when he was pulling it I asked if it was cartiledge and he said it was my bone breaking) After the extraction he told me to put some pressure on my gum to close the larger then should be hole he left in my head. The wound healed fine(withing an hour it stopped bleeding).

After examining where he had pulled it I noticed a good sized cavity that was hiding between the tooth he had pulled and the molar behind it.

I don't have any noticeable swelling but the spot where he had pulled my tooth is still sore and my gum is still swollen from where he had said he broke the bone pulling the tooth(nothing crazy just small swelling on the outside of the tooth cavity).

The molar that was behind the tooth he pulled is very sensitive but nothing compared to how my tooth felt before he had pulled it. I was just wondering if the pain and small swelling I feel are normal when the gumline is fractured or if I should go back to the dentist(I don't have insurance and could hardly afford the tooth being pulled so it's not a no brainer to go back for me like it would be for most people.)

Thank you for your time.

I rode my pain out for a long time. It came and went, sometimes disappearing for a few months. But it always came back worse. Eventually I just had to suck it up and pay for the work.

Vote:
When the teeth is pulled out,its quiet normal to have that pain,try to wash your mouth with salt water.If the pain still exist,go to the dentist,that will be better.

Vote:
sad and painful story..
you could use a warm and salty water to ease the pain but don't swallow it, might upset your stomach. you can take pain relievers. you also can use salt and ginger, make a paste out of it then rub it on the affected area..

Vote:
Avoid hot foods or drinks until the numbing wears off. You cannot feel pain while you are numb and may burn your mouth. Also take care not to accidentally chew your cheek.

Vote:
Unfortunately for some, pain does stick around for a while after an extraction. Best thing you can do is to wait it out with loads of painkillers and laying down!
Have you tried elevating your head? With a few extra pillows? The blood flow is lessend by this, and pressure around the area calms a little. Ice pack on the outside will help - but remember not to leave it on any longer than 10 minutes at a time (10 mins on 10 mins off essentially).

Remember not to use a heat pad! Heat on the area will not help with swelling and can make the area a lot more painful! Try not to have any 'hot' soup or 'hot' tea - cool jelly, not completely icy ice-cream and loads of water will help (Basically try not to go to the 'extremes' of the cold and hot registers)

Hope it starts to feel better soon!

Vote:
This is very awe-full situation. In such a case one should consult some other dentist or a physician to get free from the pain and get a treatment soon as chances of swelling and infection persist even if you clean your mouth well after any meal. As per the basic solution to get relief from pain do avoid hot fluids as it relaxes the muscles.

Vote:
Most people experience some pain and swelling after having a tooth extracted. It is normal to feel some pain after the anesthesia wears off. If you develop new or worsening pain in the days after your tooth extraction, don't try to tough it out.

Vote:

Ask a Question