Pain after permanent bridge / pontics larger than other teeth

I had a permanent bridge done, which required to do a crown on a healthy cuspid that never had a problem (I'm 57). The crown preparation -- despite the anesthesia -- was very painful. Now, two months later, I have the following problems:

1. The bridge gives me two types of pain: a dull pain which I cannot tell whether is in the gum or the cuspid and a gum pain around the other crown on a molar. There is no sensitivity to cold / hot temperatures.

2. The bridge's pontics and crowns are larger than my natural teeth and larger than the ones of other two bridges I have. These two bridges are the same size than my natural teeth and have plenty of space for the threader floss to pass through. The new bridge is bigger and pushes against the gum leaving a tight space for the threader floss to pass through, which at times it hurts.

My dentist told me that the pontics/crowns for the new bridge were made larger by the lab to fill the space between the gum and the lower teeth for proper occlusion. However, I never noticed before the space between the gums on one side was larger than the other side and I never had an occlusion problem with my natural teeth or later with a partial bridge. Could be that the pain is the result of the pontics / crowns being too large? If so, could the bridge be replaced?

Ask a Question