Need root canal but a different tooth hurts

So I need a root canal on tooth 10. Even though I am terrified I am going to get it done. However, the dentist says it is a dead tooth (which is why I don't have any pain) but it has a pocket of infection in the gums that needs removed. The day after I visit him tooth 7 starts to ache and throb. In fact, that entire side of my jaw hurts. When I tap on tooth 7 it hurts. When I drink or eat it hurts. I don't understand tooth 7 suddenly hurts now. Could it be that it randomly has the same issue just a day after tooth 10? Is it referred pain from tooth 10? Has the infection spread? Should I worry? Oh. I'm also 33 weeks pregnant.

Solutions
I'm sure you already know it's normal to have dental problems when you're pregnant., but what a horrible thing to happen when you're so far into your pregnancy. Any work at this stage shouldn't affect the development of your baby. A dental infection that's only just come on won't affect the birth but you might want to mention it to your obstetrician. I always say get a second opinion from another dentist if you have a root canal diagnosis and also make sure you go to an endodontist for the treatment.

Vote:
My dentist referred me to an endodontist. And theendodontiat office requires a letter from my OB. So all that is covered. I have never had one and am super nervous. I worry most about this pain I am having in the tooth that is not my root canal tooth. And I worry about pain after procedure. My husband had 1 done and said it was painful for a few hours afterward. I can only take Tylenol so I am worried. I have a 3 year old and a 2 year old I am at home with, plus being super pregnant and in pain doesn't equal to a good day. Ugh

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sometimes pain can seem to "move" (or refer). With teeth, this means it'll move from front/back, and up/down. You'd have to be unlucky to have 2 teeth give pain at same time. The endodontist will sort this out for you. Also talk to them about painkillers. Acetaminophen is best, but you can use a short dose of ibuprofen if required for acute pain - again, talk to endo and OB. The other thing about heavily pregnant ladies is their position in the dental chair - a flat-on-your-back position may cause the foetus to reduce the blood supply from returning to the (Mum's) heart, leading to a loss of consciousness (faint). Have your right hip lifted by a pillow to allow the inferior vena cava to stay open and avoid this pooling of the blood in the legs. If you do start to feel faint, then turn fully on left side.

Vote:
Sometimes pain can seem to "move" (or refer). With teeth, this means it'll move from front/back, and up/down. You'd have to be unlucky to have 2 teeth give pain at same time. The endodontist will sort this out for you. Also talk to them about painkillers. Acetaminophen is best, but you can use a short dose of ibuprofen if required for acute pain - again, talk to endo and OB. The other thing about heavily pregnant ladies is their position in the dental chair - a flat-on-your-back position may cause the foetus to reduce the blood supply from returning to the (Mum's) heart, leading to a loss of consciousness (faint). Have your right hip lifted by a pillow to allow the inferior vena cava to stay open and avoid this pooling of the blood in the legs. If you do start to feel faint, then turn fully on left side.
I just don't understand how this other tooth can hurt sooooooo bad. I can't even eat, which is bad when you are this pregnant. When I eat it throbs and kind of feels like it is wiggling and gonna fall out. Very sensitive to touch. And it isn't the tooth that needs the root canal. I don't understand how that tooth can hurt so bad when it is supposed to be fine. Ugh,

Vote:
Solutions
It might be because the teeth share space with the same nerve pathways. If one part of the area is inflamed it can affect the rest of the live ones along the route of the nerve. Or... you might have been grinding on that one to avoid the one that's being treated. But in my experience teeth always feel like they are all about to fall out when there's something wrong with one of them. When do you see th e endo?

Vote:
Had my appointment. Once they took xrays they discovered the tooth 10 and 7 were both dead. He couldn't really explain why things were still hurting. He said that the infection on tooth 10 is being fought by my body. It swells, then goes down. So he didn't do the procedure. Said it can wait til after I have the baby and we will do the root canal on both teeth together. Until then, take Tylenol on the days I have pain and try to make it through til after baby comes.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No particular reason to not be treated at this stage of your pregnancy; there is very little risk to your child now. I would be a bit worried that the source of pain is not under control, e.g. drainage or 1st stage RCT. Watch your total daily dosages of Tylenol (must be <4000mg) , and don't be afraid to ring your OB or endo if things aren't going well. What we don't want to happen to you is a worsening of the situation. https://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/pregnancy/concerns
Good luck with the birth.

Vote:

Ask a Question