Do I need the root canal to be redone?

Hello
I have a question about my broken tooth (broken crown) #29.
I do not have any pain and discomfort. My general dentist suggested me to consult
if I need the root canal to be redone.
The crown will be rebuild and I'm wondering if I really need a root canal to be redone??? I attached the x-ray,
Thanks
Joan

Attachments

• document1.pdf
    48.5 KB · Views: 378

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Not a good chance of long term success; the RCTs in 28 and 29 are OK-ish, with no signs of pathology, so don't think you need to worry about that angle. However, you have a tooth fractured off at gum level that at a minimum should have a cast post and core before a new crown. These are typically weak teeth, and it looks like you might not have molar teeth to take the chewing forces, so this tooth (and the 28) are going to take a lot of pressure. Also, 28 has no post support, and probably a weak core, so also at risk of fracture. I wouldn't spend too much money on 29 - maybe keep it limited to prefab steel post with composite crown.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The RCT in 29 is acceptable. It is a bit short of the apex, but as you have not been having trouble with it, and have no signs ofchronic inflammation at the apex, then I would leave it alone as a reasonable risk. As I said earlier, it's not a great tooth overall, so don't spend too much trying to make a " perfect" tooth that then fails.

Vote:

Ask a Question