My dental bridge hurts...

I went to the dentist in April after a 12 year hiatus. =( We were poor and didn't have insurance. Anyhow, no cavities, but the dentist asked about my missing crown. It had been missing for 12 years and never bothered me so I never went in to have it fixed. He told me I would need a bridge or an implant. I asked if it was absolutely necessary because I was never bothered by the missing tooth. He said yes, so I went ahead with a bridge. I've since been in 3 times with pain and a poor fit. My dentist insists it's glued in there and not coming out without breaking the teeth underneath it. But I can't handle this pain day in and day out. It's literally making me depressed to have gone from NO pain despite missing tooth, to now not being able to chew on that side of my mouth at all anymore. I can't even bite into certain foods (strawberries for instance) with my front teeth because it hurts the back teeth holding my bridge. Tart foods also make it hurt even when it's not touching. I am so frustrated. I paid $5k after insurance for this. What can I do?? I want to seek out a second opinion, but that's just more money. Can I ask for a refund for what I paid? It's only caused damage, not helped me at all. I'm only 34 - I don't want to deal with this every day for the rest of my life.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The dentist was probably production hungry and over-treated you. I see this problem all too often. First, you were fine with the missing teeth with no problems functioning. Secondly, you were missing the tooth for 12 years. From my observations, most of the teeth shifting had already occurred. Thirdly, the dentist did not properly inform you of the risks of teeth drilling nor respect your decision of no treatment.

Go back to the dentist and discuss your problems. If the dentist did not adequately address your problem, you may have to report him/her to the licensing authorities. By the way, if your abutment teeth need root canal treatment(s), the teeth will be a lot weaker therefore compromising the strength of the bridge. Unfortunately I see failed bridges way too often. I don't know what country or area you are in, but there may be grounds for legal action.

Vote:
Thank you for that response. I am in Southern California. It struck me as odd because it was my first time in the office - we finally got insurance and booked my first appointment for a check-up - and I walked out with a temporary bridge 2 hours later and I didn't even know what a bridge was when I walked in that morning. Obviously I don't feel confident in dental health, so I went with what he insisted was my best plan. He told me I had zero cavities, so obviously the teeth he drilled down were fine before the bridge was put in place. I am so depressed that I can't even just have the bridge removed because the teeth underneath are destroyed from the drilling.

Vote:

Ask a Question