Just been told I need a filling

I'm 17 and in the UK, I have never had a filling before, dentist took x-rays and there was a slightly darker circle on my last tooth on the bottom left. He said it's decay, wondering if there is anything i can do to reverse the decay or will I just have to get the filling. If I do just have to get the filling should I go for the silver one or a composite filling?(silver free, composite £100).
Thanks in advance.

Search and read about "dentist philosophy decay" and "Minimal intervention dentistry". Ask any prospective dentist what their philosophy is, either a "wait and see" (to see if your personal oral care will result in remineralization) or preventative. From my reading and understanding if the decay had reached the dentin then it is best to treat as the caries spreads much quicker at that point, but if the caries is only in the enamel then it may be best to see if remineralization will resolve the issue.

Saliva remineralizes the teeth. So would things high in calcium & phosphate (e.g. bovine milk with any % fat but vitamin D fortified is better). Stay away from acidic things like many mouthwashes, coffee, and OJ. Brush your teeth with fluoride product in the morning to ensure fluoride is available during day to counter any acidic damage. Brush & rinse within 4 hours of eating to remove sugar/carbs.

If you're familiar with the pH scale (I think this is mandatory in U.S. high school science at least), look up what the acidity of drinks & lactic acid are, as well as the critical pH of your enamel/dentin/cementum and how fluoride lowers that critical pH.

Vote:

Ask a Question