I can't tell why I have tooth pain and i've been to the dentist 3 times.

It all started about 2 years ago when out of nowhere I had this excruciating burning pain near one of my top molars. I quickly went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth out of a panic and it went away.

During the night it came back and would not go away, couldn't eat anything and it was honestly one of the worst pains ever. Only thing that would calm it down was cold water held in my mouth.

I went to the dentist and he changed the filling. For 1.5 years it was fine, apart from the odd bit of discomfort here and there, it didn't bother me.

After those 1.5 years the pain slowly came back but not on the same scale - so i went again and he had changed the filling AGAIN. 2 months later it came back but again, less than before (after each time i went the pain got better).

He took 2 x-rays and said it may actually be the tooth next to it, as i myself had a hard time deciding which tooth it was, so he also replaced the filling in the molar next to it, since the filling in that tooth was 8 years old anyway.

Fast forward to current day, that pain has not come back at all, but i have a new type of discomfort now.

1. The new filling in the tooth has created a gap between the teeth and when food gets stuck like meat, it causes some pain especially when biting down, so now i basically floss after most meals.

2. I feel discomfort when biting down because of no.1. Also in the morning there is some discomfort but this subsides within an hour or two.

As of now, i can get by just fine but i'm starting to think if its a nerve in the tooth thats dying and that i may need a root canal?

trouble is i can't actually tell which tooth it is.

When i floss as mentioned above, the gum hurts quite a bit, which makes me think i may have a gum infection of some sort?

Any help will be appreciated.

The current dentist i'm with has 2 x rays of my teeth and cannot see any issues at all. Should i try a different dentist altogether?

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
A gap between the teeth causes problem. When food packs in there it can cause your symptoms and they do come and go. Consider trying a WaterPik or flossing carefully twice a day and rinsing after meals. Do this for a week and see if your symptoms go away. If they do, go find a more competent dentist that knows how to do fillings without leaving a gap.
Dr. Barniv

Vote:

Ask a Question