Issue with filling?

I had a filling done by a new provider (mistake #1). 5-weeks after tooth is still sensitive to any temperature of fluid. I had provider take a 2nd xray and check for issues. She states nothing looks wrong yet I have sensitivity.

Took xray to previous provider who saw 1 problem right away. Had him re-do the filling and he states he found 3 issues with original filling; loose, not closed, cavity not fully removed.

4-weeks after filling being redone it is still sensitive to cold fluids and pressure. Went back to provider and he tested for root canal but tooth didn't respond.

At this point I'm miserable and just want to be free of the sensitivity. I don't care if he does a root canal but he says it should heal. I've had this sort of filling done before (between teeth) and don't recall it taking this long to heal.

Any thoughts on best next step?

After read your query, I would say that there are a couple things you should do - first go back and see your dentist and have him or her check your bite - sometimes if a new filling is just a little bit "high" it may cause your tooth to have trauma when you chew/bite and in time that tooth becomes very sensitive. After that, have the dentist check the vitality status of the nerve - sometimes when you have a large cavity or filling, the tooth (nerve) may die over time and you will have a lot of discomfort when you chew - if this is the case, you need a root canal. Finally, sometimes when a filling is very deep, it irritates the nerve of the tooth and if this does not go away over 2 weeks to a month it is probably time for a root canal. Next step is to go back to your dentist ASAP. Good Luck.

Vote:
Thank you very much for your reply. I've tried to baby this tooth as much as possible over the last 3-4 weeks and it is still sensitive to cold temperature. The bite alignment does not feel like the issue. I've had many alignments done in the past so I am familiar with this.

I agree a root canal seems the best course of action. Thanks again for your reply.

Vote:

Ask a Question