Issues after composite fillings

So to make a long story short, I haven't gone to the dentist in about 7 years, due to my fear of all the injections I have to get to become numb, and I finally went about 2 weeks ago. Had 4 small gum line cavities (molars 19, 29, 30, 31- I hope those are the right numbers!) my dentist said they went a tiny bit under the gum during the fillings. Honestly most of my appointment was spent getting my teeth actually numb, once he was drilling he was only on each individual tooth for less than a minute-about a minute. I expected to be sore considering I got them all filled on the same day, could still feel part of the procedure, and the amount of injections I had to have in my lower jaw. All of this work was done a little over a week ago, haven't had any sensitivity to heat and very minimal sensitivity to cold (I've had composite fillings before and the cold feels pretty normal for my teeth). I've had a couple bite pressure zings on 2 of my teeth, but that stopped after day 3 or 4. My main concern is that three nights ago I woke up early in the morning to throbbing pain, I couldn't pin point a tooth, but it was coming from my right side. I stood up, and within 45 seconds the entire pain was gone, and I experienced the same throbbing last night, but again not a specific tooth. I also have a soreness on my right side (where I had 3 fillings) and it tends to feel aggravated when I eat anything hard. But again to clarify, it's not painful, just almost feels like I flossed my gums too hard or how your teeth feel right after you get braces. Are my teeth just trying to recover from being drilled, or do I have a more serious problem here? I definitely don't have a bite problem, due to the fact my fillings are on my gum line, and it would be pretty noticeable, and I've had a high bite on previous fillings so I know what it feels like.

I almost feel like I'm almost making my teeth feel worse then they are, like I could possibly be clenching my jaw in my sleep and making myself believe there is truly a problem. I've been reading a lot about reversible and irreversible pulpitis, does it sound like I have the symptoms of either?

I'm waiting until the end of the week to go back to my dentist, so any suggestions on what might be going on would be greatly appreciated!

So to make a long story short, I haven't gone to the dentist in about 7 years, due to my fear of all the injections I have to get to become numb, and I finally went about 2 weeks ago. Had 4 small gum line cavities (molars 19, 29, 30, 31- I hope those are the right numbers!) my dentist said they went a tiny bit under the gum during the fillings. Honestly most of my appointment was spent getting my teeth actually numb, once he was drilling he was only on each individual tooth for less than a minute-about a minute. I expected to be sore considering I got them all filled on the same day, could still feel part of the procedure, and the amount of injections I had to have in my lower jaw. All of this work was done a little over a week ago, haven't had any sensitivity to heat and very minimal sensitivity to cold (I've had composite fillings before and the cold feels pretty normal for my teeth). I've had a couple bite pressure zings on 2 of my teeth, but that stopped after day 3 or 4. My main concern is that three nights ago I woke up early in the morning to throbbing pain, I couldn't pin point a tooth, but it was coming from my right side. I stood up, and within 45 seconds the entire pain was gone, and I experienced the same throbbing last night, but again not a specific tooth. I also have a soreness on my right side (where I had 3 fillings) and it tends to feel aggravated when I eat anything hard. But again to clarify, it's not painful, just almost feels like I flossed my gums too hard or how your teeth feel right after you get braces. Are my teeth just trying to recover from being drilled, or do I have a more serious problem here? I definitely don't have a bite problem, due to the fact my fillings are on my gum line, and it would be pretty noticeable, and I've had a high bite on previous fillings so I know what it feels like.

I almost feel like I'm almost making my teeth feel worse then they are, like I could possibly be clenching my jaw in my sleep and making myself believe there is truly a problem. I've been reading a lot about reversible and irreversible pulpitis, does it sound like I have the symptoms of either?

I'm waiting until the end of the week to go back to my dentist, so any suggestions on what might be going on would be greatly appreciated!
Dude you are suffering from Acute Apical Periodontitis. Your x-rays need to be studied properly. Individual & lateral x-rays need to be checked. If it is then RCT is a choice. If dentist make precise pulp access opening with telescope or dental loupe, then no problem. You may get only post & core with composite restoration. Unless ceramic crown is better. Now your periodontal scaling and obviously ''Root planning" may be required. Don't worry, just check an expert dentist nearby.
Pulpitis is inflammation of pulp tissues. This may be the reason. But as you say while applying bite force then pain aggravates. It is AAP. Need to see x-rays, if apical root has any lesion unless pulp infection. Periodontal problem is related in this case. Get x-rays,,, lateral & individual of teeth region. Nothing to do with sinus.

Last edited:

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Oh Lordy, where do some of these people come from?
  • Sinus pain is possibly indicated if pain occurs when standing up, not if pain subsides.
  • Nor will it be a perio problem.
  • We're jumping way out into space with suggestion of AAP and needing X-rays.
Given that you haven't been treated for 7 years, and pain occured after several small fillings, then most likely simply the fillings. You can try some sensitivity toothpaste while you wait for dentist appointment. If necessary, perhaps a filling or two may be leaking and require replacement. I'm assuming you've had composite (white) fillings, and the seal on these tends to be poor if they have to go under the gum. Maybe you should ask if they need to be replaced with amalgam.

Vote:
Oh Lordy, where do some of these people come from?
  • Sinus pain is possibly indicated if pain occurs when standing up, not if pain subsides.
  • Nor will it be a perio problem.
  • We're jumping way out into space with suggestion of AAP and needing X-rays.
Given that you haven't been treated for 7 years, and pain occured after several small fillings, then most likely simply the fillings. You can try some sensitivity toothpaste while you wait for dentist appointment. If necessary, perhaps a filling or two may be leaking and require replacement. I'm assuming you've had composite (white) fillings, and the seal on these tends to be poor if they have to go under the gum. Maybe you should ask if they need to be replaced with amalgam.
Ego is not good in profession.
This fellow 's c/c- getting zing on two tooth while biting on opposite jaw.
I wonder, how you say about sinus pain and how you relate with it. Can you tell me book name or any journal publication?
What is your provisional diagnosis? You cut out option of x-rays, which is very important in dentistry and orthopaedics cases (likewise for others).
Is this due to ' sinusitis'? Have this guy mentioned any other significant symptoms for sinusitis. No.
(Trigeminal neuralgia pain is also radiating and subsides after sometime. Due to cold wind blowing it aggravates and subside. So we relate?).
* Restoration is NOT done properly. Periodontal check up is must. (By the way Sinus opening & treatment comes under 'Periodontics'. Hope you know this!!).
What type of dentist you are!! Which tooth no. is 19, 29??
(I made assumption, this fellow is telling about upper R & L quadrant. I excused his saying and focussed on c/c. But you , what is saying )...better DON'T dictate or criticize any one. This is NOT your forum or website. If want, you give your own advice to 'patient only', NOT others. Thanks.

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question