Is whitening necessary?

Hi Dentists,

I've been to my dentist today about getting a new veneer for my front tooth that I chipped when I was 10 as my current veneer looks like it has dropped. The dentist recommended whitening before going to a lab to colour match the veneer and then have it put on. If I do as recommended and don't keep up the whitening will the veneer be whiter than my other teeth in the long run? My teeth aren't that discoloured anyway, so shall I just get the veneer done and not the whitening?
And finally, if I got the veneer done and then had the whitening treatment would the veneer stay its original colour?

Thanks ever so much for your help in advance,

Steph

Hi Steph, if you are very happy with the color of your teeth then there's no need to whiten them first. But if you prefer whiter and brighter teeth then consider whitening your teeth before you have the veneers placed. But since your dentist recommended it then you must follow him. Remember that veneers cannot be whiten. Any whitening done after the veneers are cemented will whiten the natural teeth next to the veneer but not the veneer itself, causing a shade discrepancy.

Vote:

Great Lakes Dental

Verified Dentist
Hi Steph,

You're correct, a veneer will not respond to a whitening treatment. The shade will remain the same.

I agree with your Dentist's recommendation, if you're getting a new veneer (especially being that it's your front tooth), then it makes more sense to do a whitening first (that is, if you value having a brighter smile...some people don't). Assuming you did have the whitening done, future discolouration will happen gradually and you should be able to maintain a near-perfect colour match with an occasional 'at-home' whitening solution.

Regards,

Dr. Jennifer Thomm
Cosmetic Dentist
Sarnia, Ontario

Vote:

Ask a Question