Cheaper options than Invisalign to fix teeth that shifted post braces?

I had braces when I was a kid and apparently after they were taken off I didn't wear my retainer long enough and my bottom teeth have crowded again over the 17ish years since. The only tooth that has really moved much is my lower central incisor. Now, at the base near the gums it hasn't moved all that much, but it is tilted backward because really it's more the top part of the tooth that can't fit alongside my other teeth (since the tooth is kind of like a \ / shape where the top is wider than the bottom).

I asked my dental hygienist about having it fixed and she recommended Invisalign, but it seems crazy to me to shell out $3k+ to fix this... So what I'm wondering is, are there any other (less expensive) options to remedy this? I actually somehow still have my old retainer (which has a little spring mechanism for this tooth since it was apparently a bit of a problem from the start) and I can force it on but due to the tooth being out of place it really doesn't align with the teeth correctly so much as... just squeeze on the teeth. I'm assuming that trying to squeeze the tooth back into place like this is probably not ideal, or just won't work, but if I'm wrong I can give it a shot. Is it safe to attempt?

Solutions
It's not a good idea to mess with your bite. There was a recent thread on here on this subject and it's a false economy because things can go wrong.

You should go to your dentist and ask for some cheaper options or a new retainer. You don't have to have invisalign but you can't expect to have treatment totally for free. As I understand it, if you have ortho you have to wear a retainer for the rest of your life.

Vote:
I had braces when I was a kid and apparently after they were taken off I didn't wear my retainer long enough and my bottom teeth have crowded again over the 17ish years since. The only tooth that has really moved much is my lower central incisor. Now, at the base near the gums it hasn't moved all that much, but it is tilted backward because really it's more the top part of the tooth that can't fit alongside my other teeth (since the tooth is kind of like a \ / shape where the top is wider than the bottom).

I asked my dental hygienist about having it fixed and she recommended Invisalign, but it seems crazy to me to shell out $3k+ to fix this... So what I'm wondering is, are there any other (less expensive) options to remedy this? I actually somehow still have my old retainer (which has a little spring mechanism for this tooth since it was apparently a bit of a problem from the start) and I can force it on but due to the tooth being out of place it really doesn't align with the teeth correctly so much as... just squeeze on the teeth. I'm assuming that trying to squeeze the tooth back into place like this is probably not ideal, or just won't work, but if I'm wrong I can give it a shot. Is it safe to attempt?
Generally speaking, retainers retain and movers move. Spring retainers were used in the past and never really worked. You have orthodontic relapse and now need retreatment. $3k for Invisalign is a low fee. We charge $6K. Go to an actual orthodontist, take advantage of their expertise and flexible financial arrangements.

Vote:

Ask a Question