In order to "more closely fit" a mold of all my lower teeth a dentist used "a thread" and gave me a local anasthetic all around my inner mouth... any

In order to "more closely fit" a mold of all my lower teeth a dentist used "a thread" and gave me a local anasthetic all around my inner mouth... anyone know what this technique is called ?

Even with anasthetic I could feel tiny stabbing sensations as he threaded something all around my lower teeth presumably around my gums. At the end I think he used silicone / alginate to make the mould, why was the threading necessary ?

I asked him and I didn't quite understand as the language he used is foreign to me and I was quite out of it as I had hardly slept the night before. Towards the end of the procedure he cut and removed the thread, I can't remember if he removed it before he applied the silicone or before ... I'll take a wild guess and say that the thread was some sort of delimiter or marker for the silicone mould, I just don't know.
This procedure was apparently to have some gold teeth fitted (I suffer from bruxism) which will be later be adjusted and infused with some porcelain to make them partially more aesthetically pleasing. I had some provisional ceramic teeth fitted (which are in now but are temporary) but they only required a silicon or alginate mould which required no anasthetic or thread around and into the gums.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
It sounds like your dentist used some sort of retraction cord or similar product. This is mainly used when crowns are done, in order to " push away" the gum tissue, so that more accurate impressions can be taken of the margins of the tooth preparation. It is also used in order to halt bleeding and prevent moisture from contaminating the impression.

Vote:

Ask a Question