If you are missing your top left molar, is it a problem if you leave it empty?

II've read that if you are missing a teeth you need to get it replaced asap as other problems will start to set in. I'm missing a top left molar and I'm thinlking of leaving it empty though so far its very distressing not to have that chewing power.

What will be the consequences of leaving it empty?
If I have to replace it, can I do so a few years later or does it have to be done immedately. What is my time limit and what happens after that limit?

Thanks

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The consequence of missing teeth will involve the supporting bone to recede, any opposing teeth left unopposed to erupt higher and any teeth behind to shift forward. Depending on teeth positioning, the adjacent teeth as well as opposing teeth could shift to a more stable position. A lot of my patients can not afford implants and they continue on with their lives. If you are considering replacement with implants, there may be other considerations such as bone grafting and possible sinus lift surgery. Also if you smoke, you must quit as well as controlling any medical conditions such as diabetes to provide better healing conditions for the implant.

Vote:
Solutions
I have had a 1st and 2nd molar missing for a long time with no problems...had bridgework done recently and in more pain than ever stay away from the dentist if at all possible

Vote:
Solutions
think about our parents and grandparent that have had dentures and partials all their life and never had a problem with them. I'm here suffering trying to save my teeth . I cannot find a competent dentist

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
think about our parents and grandparent that have had dentures and partials all their life and never had a problem with them. I'm here suffering trying to save my teeth . I cannot find a competent dentist
This post is 18 months old.

Vote:

Ask a Question