Missing teeth

Hey everyone, im already missing tooth #2, but my tooth #3 the dentist says im probably going to need a root canal. (Long story short, im having massive migraines and xrays show my roots are in my sinus cavity which is probably causing ny migraines). My question is should i get a root canal and hope that that fixes the problem and hope to not have problems later on. Or should i just fet the tooth pulled, but ill then be missing tooth #2 & #3.

Solutions
Number 3 is your upper canine right? I'd try to save it with a root canal. It's really not easy to replace and root treatment by a good endodontist can be really successful long term. I'd get a second opinion on the root treatment. But if you do need it make sure someone good does it. It's a really important tooth. How did you lose the 2 out of interest?

Vote:
Solutions
by the way I'm just looking at some of my old x rays and the canine teeth do go into the sinus cavity. I think that's pretty normal. I think you should definitely get a second opinion. Migraines have all sorts of causes. (NB I don't get migraines)

Vote:
#3 is the premolar on the upper right, and #2 is your molar, and #1 is your wisdom. my wisdoms are gone and I lost #2 because of bad cavity. They tried saving #3 by filling it with medicine and then filling it 3 years ago. But now all of a sudden, I get really bad tooth pain from #3 which is leading to my really bad migraines that are absolutely horrible. I’ve been living on Tylenol and ibuprofen. My wife’s a nurse practitioner so no worries on overdosing haha. I have my endodontist appointment tomorrow.

Last edited:

Vote:
Solutions
Ok where I live I think the wisdom tooth is 8 and a second premolar would be 5, the first premolar is 4 (counting from the middle on each side). Normally you have two molars and two premolars and a wisdom. But some people have naturally fewer teeth.

It's possible you have pain in the number 3 because the other teeth on that side are missing and there's more pressure when you bite. Have you considered bridgework or an implant for the missing teeth?

Anyway suggest you have a root treatment rather than lose another tooth. Let us know how it goes.

Vote:
Ahhh gotcha, then yes #3 would be my second molar as it’s the second tooth from the wisdom tooth. Sorry for the confusion. So I had the top right wisdom pulled, then lost the first molar due to cavity, and then this is the next tooth, so #3 or second molar on the top right.

Vote:
Solutions
Try to hang onto it. The more teeth you lose, the more will be under pressure and could end up the same way. Your teeth are key to not just dental health but overall health.

Vote:
Alright so update: no infection, no need for root canal, tooth is fine endodontist says. Have to go see a neurologist to probably get an MRI. Positive is I get to keep the tooth with no procedure, negative is it could be something worse. Prayers it’s nothing too bad

Vote:
Solutions
That's great news about your tooth. I hope the MRI goes well & fingers crossed it's nothing. Try not to worry about it. I had something similar years ago and it just spontaneously resolved, but at the time I felt my head would burst & I was told it was a "migrainous tendency" even though I'd never had headaches before. Could be your bite is contributing and a nightguard to relax the jaw might help. 9 times out of ten it's just a passing thing. Please let us know how it goes.

By the way I am really pleased you had a good & honest endo. They are not all like that in my experience.

Vote:
Yeah, they were bad like this before in high school and then just went away and would come randomly but not bad. But lately it’s been about 2-3 weeks. Really hoping it’s a passing thing and going to get a night guard now.

Vote:
Solutions
Chances are that it will pass. Main thing is don't worry. Mine went on for three months. Just at the point I thought I was dying and had to call an ambulance, they stopped, never to return. Go figure!

It's only if they are getting progressively worse that it's a worry but that would happen over a few days not weeks. Do post after the MRI.

Vote:
Yeah I’ve had them every day for 2-3 weeks, some days it’s a 10/10, some days it’s 6/10 pain. And a couple of days I wouldn’t get them until night time. Could possibly be from taking so much Tylenol and ibuprofen so I’m going to try and not use them next time I get one (hopefully not). But yeah I’ll post after my MRI.

Vote:

Ask a Question