How to look after tooth between RCT appointments?

Solutions
Hi :)

I had my first root canal treatment appointment yesterday. Agreed with my dentist that we would do it over a couple of sessions so that I didn't have to keep my mouth open for ages (which I'm grateful for now!) Treatment went really well (was so scared but didn't feel anything, all went really smoothly) and I haven't had much pain at all afterwards just a very, very mild ache which I can barely feel. I've had the pulp taken out I believe and have a temporary filling over the top. Next appointment in a couple of weeks to finish it off and then will get a crown put on after that.

I'm just really paranoid about chewing or touching that tooth incase I "crack" it. I heard root canalled teeth are more brittle than regular teeth, so I'm now worried every time I eat that I might do some damage to it, even though I'm trying to chew on the other side of my mouth my teeth sometimes touch at the root canalled side while eating. I had a pretty deep filling in there before hand which has been taken out completely I believe. My question I guess is, is it safe to chew soft things on that tooth? What if I forget and chew something on it (not likely with all the worrying I'm doing!)? Am I likely to cause damage to it while I'm waiting for my second appointment? I'm basically worried that I'll cause enough damage that it will need to be extracted. I also grind my teeth a bit at night too.

Thanks!

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I would avoid chewing on that side to cover all bases. Also be a good idea to pick up an Over-the-Counter night guard to protect against grinding/clenching.

Vote:

Ask a Question