How long after extraction can I get a filling for a different tooth?

I feel like this is a really simple question to which an answer should have been readily available...but more than a few hours on the net haven't turned up the exact answer I require. Hopefully someone here can help me. My situation isn't dire but my pain is at an eight. To me that's just above tolerable but still extremely annoying and sometimes difficult to live with. lol

Anyway...I recently had two teeth removed. No problems there but due to the fact only one zone of my mouth is now "chewable" has made me painfully aware of what appears to be a pretty bad cavity behind my right eye-tooth. Took me all this time to realize the pain from my extracted wisdom tooth (had the procedure done six days ago) wasn't what was hurting me the most...it's the stupid cavity which I can very lightly tap and get a rather reverberating echo of ache through the area. Typical cavity symptoms; cold air and liquids make it jolt, sugar makes it ache, etc.

It's bugging me, severely. I'd like to go have it dealt with tomorrow if I could but is it safe this soon after having an extraction (especially on the same side and general area) to get that sort of work done? Other inquiries lead me to believe I should wait a bit and allow the trauma of my previous work to fully heal before actually going to get the cavity filled but...it hurts. lol, I'd really hate to wait any longer than I have to just to get this taken care of. :/

So...how long should I wait? It's been six days so far, I'm still sore from the extractions and my jaw is somewhat stiff/tight.

Do I need to just tough it out and wait a bit...? Or is it possible something which feels like a "cavity" may be more severe and require more work than expected? I realize dentistry is somewhat of a variable since each person's mouth and general well-being is unique. I'm not in the best health. Can't work, have a hard time consuming enough nutrients to fuel me through a normal day, etc. Could this delay my healing time as well?

I guess this turned out to be more questions than I thought...I just can't help but wonder after the pages and pages of dental information I've read over the last week.

Any and all answers appreciated. =)

Thank you~

Last edited:

Ask a Question