How do I know a gold filling is actually gold?

Some years ago I had a gold filling and crown with my local dentist and it has caused no problems since. However, a while after the filling was done I was invited by the NHS to take part in an investigation to determine how much gold if any was being used in the fillings provided by my dentist. I went along for the inspection/testing and the results came back that my filling was not gold. It was not going to do any harm but was not what I had been lead to believe I would get .

A lab has told me there a 3 types of gold crowns/fillings Precious (60% noble metal), Semi Precious (25% noble metal) and Non Precious (less than 25% noble metal).

I now have the option of another gold filling, from past experience I am cautious and have been unable to gain any information as to how I will know exactly what I am getting if I go for the gold option. I have tried speaking to various dentists and labs online and over the phone but no one can give me a straight answer or gets back to me.

What is standard practice, should I receive something in writing stating what I am actually getting, otherwise I could be getting ripped off? That is paying for gold and getting gold colored.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Make clear your request before the crown is made, and ask the dentist to show you the itemised lab invoice. It should have at least a brand name on it - Google it. I have no problem with this - I never use semi- or non-precious anyway.
Many patients expect it to be a yellow gold alloy, but they are often white gold.
Attached is the one my lab uses at 84% gold from this company here with screenshots of yellow and white gold variants.
And noble content can mean other metals like palladium mixed with gold. A high noble is defined as at least 60% noble of which 40% must be gold. This is a very good layperson website here. High gold content will cost you more.

Attachments

• High precious alloy from Minimax Lab (640x640).jpg
    High precious alloy from Minimax Lab (640x640).jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2023-03-27 221457.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-27 221457.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2023-03-27 221258.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-27 221258.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 4

Vote:

Ask a Question