Help needed

Hi all,

I am in need of some advice. I haven't been to see a dentist in about 15 years.

Ever since my teenage years I've struggled with tooth decay. I had several bad experiences with multiple dentists and made the poor decision to give up on my teeth all together. Obviously that was a dumb decision and here I am 15 or so years later with a mouth (not so full) of rotten teeth. I might have 4 teeth left at this point that are in ok shape.

What started out as a typical fear most people have has turned into what feels like a lead anchor around my neck. I haven't smiled for a picture in over 10 years. My self confidence is nonexistent. Wondering whether this is the time my body can't fight off the infection fills me with fear.

I have a family that loves me and it kills me to know that I can't be my best for them. It seems like such an easy step to just go see a dentist but I can't bring myself to face the disgust and ridicule. Obviously I know most dentists are professional and at the end of the day they just want to help but I can't fight off the shame and fear.

It feels like even if I started today it's a battle that's already been lost. I guess I'm just looking to hear from anyone who has dealt with similar and conquered it.

What helped you to finally take the steps needed to fix things? How did you deal with the embarrassment? Are there any resources for people like us?

Thanks,

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Best option would be to book a consult with the dentist. But a consult only. Discuss your fears and worries. If you are scared of the actual treatment, ask about possible sedation methods to relieve your anxiety during the treatment. Most of the times dentist try and accommodate scared and anxious patients.

Vote:

Ask a Question