Emergency help needed please for Pain after refilling the teeth

I had my (lower left side last two teeth) refilled in my home country (Bangladesh) in 26th dec 2021. Those teeth had filling already by the same dentist back in 2005. Well, he took the filling off and redone three composite filling in last two teeth and thats where the problem started from. Teeth became sensative. anything i eat i feel very discomfort. dentist tried his best to cure the problem but couldn't.
Then I went to another dentist and he took the filling off and put temporary fillings. this time it was feeling better than before. after three days he put permenant filling (composite filling). problem didn't solved but it was still better than first dentist. As i came back to london, problem became worse now. teeth has bacome hyper sensitive.
probelms are as follows
1. Super sensitive to cold and hot
2. if i press on the filling by finger tip i feel slow pain which slowly increase and last for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. If i eat any solid things, like grains, seeded bread or soft bones straight i feel discomfort and weird pain.

I went to many emergency dentists in london and also my registered dentist . they did many x-rays and couldn't find any wrong. They prescribed me Duraphats and recommended me some other sensodyne tooth paste which I am using three time a day. Nothing is helping me. I can eat just soft things only which cause not severe pain. but anything else even normal crisps as well cause irritating pain.
Now I am in Antibiotic Metronidazole (7days course).

Can anybody kindly suggest me what shall or What else can I do?

I have attached my X-ray here as well. Thank you.

Attachments

• X-ray.jpg
    X-ray.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 15

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Have the dentist do a cold test (liquid nitrogen) sprayed on a cotton ball, not a Q-tip (not cold enough). If the test shows healthy pulp (nerve), check bite and tooth sleuth. The tooth may need root canal depending on the cold test or crown depending on tooth sleuth. If you get a root canal, you need a crown afterwards. The best scenario would be to adjust bite and feeling better after.

Vote:
Have the dentist do a cold test (liquid nitrogen) sprayed on a cotton ball, not a Q-tip (not cold enough). If the test shows healthy pulp (nerve), check bite and tooth sleuth. The tooth may need root canal depending on the cold test or crown depending on tooth sleuth. If you get a root canal, you need a crown afterwards. The best scenario would be to adjust bite and feeling better after.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Biting has been tested and adjusted while i was in Bangladesh. cold test with cotton ball was done in London few times. everytime last tooth reacted most sensitive but 2nd last has got pain as well. dentist in guy's hospital said i need root canal. i am confused whether i should wait more longer for it to be adjusted or i should go for root canal straightaway.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you have pain and cannot tolerate it, then get the root canal. If the pain is tolerable, don't get the root canal. If you get swelling, then the nerve died and became infected prompting the need for a root canal.

Vote:
If you have pain and cannot tolerate it, then get the root canal. If the pain is tolerable, don't get the root canal. If you get swelling, then the nerve died and became infected prompting the need for a root canal.
I only get pain when i use that side..otherwise if i use right side it doesn't hurt that much. My point is, can they be fixed themselves over the time?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
They have the potential to get better. Dentistry is hard to predict because of varying lifestyles and anatomy.

Last edited:

Vote:
Thanks for the relies honestdoc. Day before yesterday I went to the emergency. She said she could have taken the filling off and put temporary filling. As i was late she couldn't do it..She recommended me to go back to her.
I have spoken to Bangladeshi dentist over the phone. He gave me similar type of advice. He said to do temporary filling then after a week take the half filling off and put insulation and silver filling on top of it. This is called sandwich filling and this is the way to avoid root canal.
My teeth overall are good. After having antibiotic, i feel bit better. But still if i chew any bone little hard..the pain will slowly come back and will last an hour around.
Shall i get sandwich filling? Or i should wait few more weeks

Vote:

Ask a Question