Filled tooth still hurts for over a year

I had a back tooth filled November 2022 and the visit was horrendous. The dentist rushed me through, said to the assistant this will only take 5 minutes make sure the next patient is ready and was discussing the next patient and not concentrating on my issue. It hurt when she started and she said oh yeah I forgot to give it time to numb. After she rushed the filling she decided to clean some of my teeth. The pain was too much for me so I had multiple needles to try and numb it, I lost count of how many injections, but I was still feeling pain. Eventually she stopped and told me to book in with the hygienist. Long story short, I've been back multiple times since and saw other dentists at that practice and every time I've said that tooth is still hurting. One dentist said it must be the tooth behind it which we haven't filled yet, see how it goes after that. It still hurt and I told them once again. They put some sort of sticky coating on my tooth to supposedly make it less sensitive.
It still hurt. I told them I do not want to lose this tooth and they said no you won't lose it. Eventually they re-did the filling. It still hurt and I told them again. From here on I was told it's a sensitive tooth and to put sensitive toothpaste on it and leave it on. I told them again and again, it's still hurting. I had the sticky coating stuff put on a few times and told to keep putting sensitive toothpaste on it. So now it's April 2024 and I'm in severe pain. For the first time they x-rayed it and told me I will need either root canal or extraction. This has really upset me. Why didn't they take it seriously from the beginning? Is it standard to tell a patient with toothache to put sensitive toothpaste on it? Why wouldn't they have told me previously that my tooth could die, since they are now saying they knew this could happen. Instead they never said a word, never did an xray and just said it's a sensitive tooth.

Last edited:
Hello

I am a patient as well and I have a similar problem. I got a big filling removed and redone, and I have been having issues ever since. My tooth is not too painful, but my general health has been affected. I started having sleep issues, mood issues, fatigue, digestive issues, etc. The Dr here said to go get a root canal. I think you will feel better after. You can do the newer type called gentle wave. I heard that is good.

Vote:

Ask a Question