Can this tooth be filled?

Solutions
I asked my dentist if anything could be done with the tooth that is circled in the picture, and he said no. But can it be filled?

tooth.jpg

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It depends on your biting and lateral excursions clearance. The canine teeth have the longest roots designed to "guide" all your teeth during routine function so the other teeth doesn't "crash" to each other and break apart. Over time, the canines can wear down and lose its guidance potential causing possible damage to other teeth. The dentist can put some bonding on that defect. However, it can change the bite causing potential issues. The bonding material will never be as strong as opposing enamel and as a result, the filling may not last very long. I'm noticing a lot of wear and damage on your teeth and restorations. You may need to consider an over the counter vs custom bite guard.

Last edited:

Vote:
Solutions
Many thanks for your comprehensive reply. After 70 years my teeth are showing signs of wear, but I will investigate bite-guards (which I had not heard of before).

I'll also consult my dentist again, armed with the information in your reply.

Vote:

Ask a Question