Do people with a chipped/filled tooth have to eat very, very carefully?

Two months ago, I chipped my front incissor tooth. Obviously visible. The dentist smoothed it, but I felt self-conscious about smiling or talking to others. It looked bad. After three weeks, I went back to the dentist and asked that it be filled.

The dentist warned me that a resin filling would break off if I chewed on it or bit food with it (because the filling would be thin). Also, it's considered a cosmetic procedure so my dental insurance wouldn't cover it. Several hundred dollars paid upfront. If it breaks again, then I would have to pay all over to have it re-filled. I signed that disclosure and then the dentist filled the chipped tooth. Tooth looks good now, and I'm confidently smiling and laughing again.

Except, now I can't eat in front of anyone. Because I can't use my front incissor teeth, I have to cut up my food into bite-sized pieces to place under the molars by the cheek. No more am I able to eat foods by hand - like pizza, burritos, apples, bagels, sandwiches, etc. I have to place pieces of food in my cheek area with a fork. And when I'm chewing, I look like an olden-day baseball player with a cheek full of chewing tobacco. Big effort to eat, and embarrassing to have others see it. I look weird eating a slice of thin crust pizza with a fork & knife!

Do others who have chipped & filled their incissor teeth eat very, very carefully?

Last edited:
Hi ForMe,

Composite/resin fillings are commonly done for small fractures or the front incisors. While it is possible for resin fillings to chip or break, they have the potential to last a long time.

If the chip is very small, they tend to be less durable. Foods that have bones (such as chicken wings/ribs) are most likely to break any fillings on your incisors since you are putting alot of force on those teeth.

If the filling is chipped or fractured, you can have it replaced.

Vote:
Thank you for your reply. Yes: if the filling breaks by me chewing with it, the filling can be replaced. Except its not covered under my dental insurance and the cost is several hundred dollars. That would be one expensive slice of pizza if it breaks the filling!

Just wondering if most people with small chips try to avoid chewing on that filled tooth (less durable). Eating this way takes a lot of effort, isn't very pleasant, and it looks awkward to others.

Or, do most people just chew with the filled tooth and risk prematurely breaking the filling?

Vote:
I am not sure which insurance company you are with, but resin fillings on anterior teeth are usually covered in my experience. Did your dentist try to claim the filling through your insurance?

It is very difficult to avoid chewing on that tooth specifically. The best thing is to avoid chewing the foods I mentioned in my last reply that are more likely to break the tooth.

Vote:
I am not sure which insurance company you are with, but resin fillings on anterior teeth are usually covered in my experience. Did your dentist try to claim the filling through your insurance?

It is very difficult to avoid chewing on that tooth specifically. The best thing is to avoid chewing the foods I mentioned in my last reply that are more likely to break the tooth.

The dentist office checked with my dental insurance. They wanted an xray to prove the filling was medically necessary to have the filling covered. Otherwise, my dental insurance considers it a cosmetic procedure.

In the meantime, I will avoid eating food with the filled tooth and look for a new dental insurance plan for the next open enrollment.

Vote:
The dentist office checked with my dental insurance. They wanted an xray to prove the filling was medically necessary to have the filling covered. Otherwise, my dental insurance considers it a cosmetic procedure.

In the meantime, I will avoid eating food with the filled tooth and look for a new dental insurance plan for the next open enrollment. btw, I see you

That is unfortunate that they will not cover that type of filling.

Glad that I could help!

Vote:

Ask a Question