Extraction and implant...

Solutions
I had a root canal done on a tooth more than 20 years ago and a gold crown placed on it.
The tooth was filed down so much that there was just a tiny stump remaining.

The crown came off a couple of years ago and was re-glued.

While flossing a couple of months ago I was careless and let the floss catch a side of the crown
and I pulled off the crown.

I had hoped the crown could be re-glued again but two dentists say it can't be done now.
They are now recommending extracting the tooth and going either for an implant or a bridge.

I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and have the tooth extracted.
I would like to know how the procedure is done?

I wasn't aware that a tooth extraction was considered oral surgery until I saw this forum.
There is so little tooth showing above the gum that I wonder what the procedure is exactly to get it out
without complications?

The two dentists mentioned above are prepared to do the extraction, one is prepared to also do an implant.
If extracting a tooth is considered surgery, would it make sense to have an oral surgeon do the procedure?

Thanks!

Solutions
Which tooth? If you don't know the ID, then count from the front (or back).
I am pretty sure it is 36, third tooth from the back, lower left side.
Here is an X-ray of the tooth from December 2019.
As you can see there is very little tooth remaining above the gum line.
There are four roots altogether.

Attachments

• Crown tooth 2.jpg
    Crown tooth 2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 123

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No hope for that tooth (36) and I would also suggest you extract the 35 as well. A bridge will not be suitable for a lower gap that wide. You would be better off with 2 implants eventually. If finances are an issue, do the 36 implant first.
To extract either tooth, it is quite possible they may turn into a surgical procedure. The gum would be incised with a scalpel, then pushed back, and some bone removed around the teeth so that an extraction instrument can get some grip.

Vote:
Solutions
No hope for that tooth (36) and I would also suggest you extract the 35 as well. A bridge will not be suitable for a lower gap that wide. You would be better off with 2 implants eventually. If finances are an issue, do the 36 implant first.
To extract either tooth, it is quite possible they may turn into a surgical procedure. The gum would be incised with a scalpel, then pushed back, and some bone removed around the teeth so that an extraction instrument can get some grip.

Thanks again Matt for your help!
I'm glad you mentioned how the tooth would be extracted, because that's what I expected would have to be done.
I couldn't see any other way to grip the tooth to remove it.

In terms of surgery or not...
When I asked the last dentist I visited for an opinion on the tooth and how it would be removed, he said he would go in between the tooth and the gum (below the gum line) to get at the tooth.
I don't believe this dentist is an oral surgeon.

Would you recommend having an oral surgeon extract the tooth or a dentist? He was prepared to do it and the implant, following healing.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Oral surgeon is not necessary for this sort of extraction - it's fairly commonplace for a general dentist to perform. For the implant, I prefer to have a periodontist perform the surgery as they can also deal with any other gum or bone issues that arise. Oral surgeons can also do implant surgery. Some general dentists can also do implant surgery but need a lot of experience to handle all the eventual issues that might arise.

Vote:
Solutions
I figured this is a good post to show what im dealing with. Im 36 just had this guy taken out. My question is. Did the Doctor cause these bubbles from stitches? They were x figured ontop of guns. Does it look like too much pressure trauma from stitches being too tight. Will the bubble looking balloon effect. Go down? Ive had my wisdom teeth taken out ay before this and i dont recall how the gums looked after surgery. Socket is 1 week old

Attachments

• 20200215_223727.jpg
    20200215_223727.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 127

Vote:

Ask a Question