Extracted Tooth Fears Help

Okay, so let me preface this by saying I'm 25 years old and yesterday I had my first ever tooth extracted because of an old filling that fell out a year ago that I never took care of like a dummy. So here's where I need some help and guidance from individuals who might know a lot more than me. I had my tooth removed using what they called a "simple extraction" I believe yesterday at 7pm, it's now 6pm(EST) the next day.

I'm absolutely beyond a doubt petrified of getting a "dry socket". I made the stupid mistake of looking online and my fears have just arose even more. So I had the gauze on it from about 8pm when they finished until about 5am when I finally was able to get tired enough to fall asleep(I did not sleep with the gauze in) and today I haven't put the gauze in my mouth at all. I called the dentistry because I have been terrified to even think about eating anything or drink anything and they advised me to eat super soft foods and then do a salt-water rinse afterwards(but not use my mouth muscles, just move my head around to flush the water around then just let it drop out of my mouth, which I did.) I just ate some mashed potatoes very slowly and then did the suggested salt-water rinse as carefully as I could.

I also tried using a green tea bag on my extraction site a little as well, for about 40 or 50 minutes before switching back to the gauze because I read online it can help the healing process. I didn't have too much blood overall honestly either, it was a little bad at first but by the time I took it out to go to bed there wasn't too much blood at all, just a small amount around and a little more in the extraction site itself.

My extraction site doesn't hurt too bad either, a minor shooting pain here and there and a somewhat constant ache occasionally but surprisingly not that bad at all. They prescribed me pain medication for it but I honestly haven't even taken it because it doesn't hurt that terribly, so I'm hoping that's a good sign?

I just can't shake the feeling of absolute DREAD about getting the extremely painful "dry socket". I haven't been spitting, smoking(I'm not a smoker), or sucking on any kind of straws but I'm still horrified. I just need some reassurance I guess from professionals. Any guidance or reassurance would be extremely appreciated.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day,

It seems like everything is going well post-operatively. Normally a dry-socket will only appear after days 3-4. If you get beyond this without any pain or swelling, you should be fine.
Continue to rinse with luke-warm saltwater, gently, after every meal. This keeps the area clean.
Don't fiddle with the socket too much. We want a healthy blood clot to form so that the socket can heal.
Try and eat softer foods and try and keep it on the other side.
And most importantly, relax.

Vote:

Ask a Question