External Root Resorption

Hi.

I'm currently nearing the end of adult orthodontics treatment. I will be getting the braces off any time now. My dentist recently told me, during a regular exam, that I have 3 teeth showing signs of external root resorption.

The office has current x-rays and if that's helpful I will request and post them.

I'm concerned because my dentist tells me that we're going to watch the teeth and wait for now. I think that one of the teeth has become sensitive now, but I've ignored it, thinking the braces were causing it. Now I'm not sure. I've never had this condition before so I'm not familiar with the progression and symptoms.

My doctor tells me that my orthodontist has been very aggressive and to fast with moving my teeth and that's why I now have the external root resorption.

I've done some research online, because I was not clear about the condition from my doctor's explanation. From what I understand my only treatment options are root canal treatments on the teeth or extractions.

Neither of those sound like good options to me right now. I've been traumatized by the same endodontist during my last 2 root canal treatments. One of those was just this past March and it would be very difficult for me to go through another root canal treatment even with a new doctor.

I'm just wondering is it safe for me to watch and wait as my doctor has suggested or is the condition going to worsen?

One tooth is sensitive and hurting now and it's hard to tell with the braces on, but it feels a little loose to me. Apparently the resorption on all 3 teeth is already severe.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you.

JJ

Hi Dr. Barniv.

Yes I saw your blog post. Thanks for the explanation. I'm just concerned about my teeth. It feels like I can't do anything about this. I guess what's done is done. I wish my orthodontist had been more careful.

The painful tooth is the one I'm most concerned about. It's the upper left front tooth.

I guess I'll let my dentist monitor these teeth and see what happens.

JJ

Vote:

Ask a Question