Did i wait too long for a root canal?

Hello,

I am posting this because i am a little worried.

About 8 months ago i went to the dentist, which told me i need multiple root canals.

I have only today made an appointment for another x-ray to see if root canal is still possible or the tooth/teeth have to be extracted.

(the reason i did not go earlier is because of personal problems)

Now the last 2 weeks the pain in my teeth has become so severe that i have made a new appointment.

However now i am afraid that the infection has spread too deep in the tooth, so that it is too late for root canal(s).

The pain i am feeling is an annoying pain and its becoming to the point of becoming very very distracting to do every day things.

My question is, is it likely too late for a root canal or does stuff have to get REALLY bad before a tooth needs extraction and should i stop worrying and can i expect that root canal is still possible?

I know this is not much to go on and difficult to say, but any insight is appreciated!

Thanks.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It depends. Pain level is not usually an indication of the possibility of a root canal being performed. The main indicator is usually how much decay is present on the tooth and if there is enough healthy tooth structure left to make it restorable.

Vote:

Ask a Question