Dentist offering implant (£2000) rather than bridge (£190 on NHS)

Got a tooth with a crown that has been a problem for years. Dentist now says its got to go and implant is the best option.

Implant costs £2000 and is only available privately. Bridge would be available on NHS (and would cost £190). I asked why a bridge wouldn't be an option and the dentist said they are not as good and might come off and an implant is more permanent.

Interestingly, they didnt say no to the bridge. Makes me think they are being a little evasive because saying no would be a lie...

I am wondering whether the actual cost of the treatment is swaying it for the dentist. £2000 or £190. I know for a fact that they are not keen on NHS work (I think in the uk they are forced to do this).

Appreciate a bridge only lasts a limited time but £190 or £2000 is a bit of a difference....

On the web, the current NHS band 3 course of treatment, which include bridges, is £244.30.

If you have a bridge it will mean that part of the teeth on either side of the current defective tooth will need to be drilled away. You thus have two teeth weakened and a more difficult task keeping them clean and infection free while you have a weaker structure compared to a good sound successful implant.

While looking at implants, you may want to compare titanium implants with all zirconium ones if you can find a dentist in your area who will use the latter. If the tooth is maybe not actually loose and the roots maybe not (too) infected you may also want to look at a BioImplant. They don't seem to be available outside of Vienna, Austria though. (http://www.bioimplant.at)

Vote:
On the web, the current NHS band 3 course of treatment, which include bridges, is £244.30.

If you have a bridge it will mean that part of the teeth on either side of the current defective tooth will need to be drilled away. You thus have two teeth weakened and a more difficult task keeping them clean and infection free while you have a weaker structure compared to a good sound successful implant.

While looking at implants, you may want to compare titanium implants with all zirconium ones if you can find a dentist in your area who will use the latter. If the tooth is maybe not actually loose and the roots maybe not (too) infected you may also want to look at a BioImplant. They don't seem to be available outside of Vienna, Austria though. (http://www.bioimplant.at)

Slightly less in Wales - its £190 for band 3.
I appreciate an implant is better. But then a Ferrari is better than my car ;-)

Is an implant more than 10x better?

So why do the NHS not offer implants? I assume some commitee of experts somewhere have decided that the cost of an implant is not appropriate for any advantages it offers over a bridge?

Problem is its not a small price difference. £2000 and counting which is a fair sum for most people.

Vote:
Slightly less in Wales - its £190 for band 3.
I appreciate an implant is better. But then a Ferrari is better than my car ;-)

Is an implant more than 10x better?

So why do the NHS not offer implants? I assume some commitee of experts somewhere have decided that the cost of an implant is not appropriate for any advantages it offers over a bridge?

Problem is its not a small price difference. £2000 and counting which is a fair sum for most people.

Some (many?) dentists will point out that a bridge has the natural "suspension" from the teeth supporting it so feels more natural when you chew. Also if the neighbouring teeth are already crowned/capped, you possibly won't need to have much (anything) more removed from them. If you have an implant you need a hole drilled in your jaw bone, of course.

But a good successful implant may last twice as long or longer than a bridge and if you have it done soon after the extraction (or other loss of the tooth) you won't have gum recession and bone loss (from the alveolar ridge) which could lead to paying several hundred pounds more if you later decide to have an implant.

If a tooth needed to come out as a result of some accident totally beyond your control or as a result of some severe illness, then you might get an implant on the NHS. Maybe the philosophy is that if people enjoy the luxury of confectionery, they should pay up for implants – but then if most of the decay occurred during school years and considering the extra non-dental health costs of those who tend to like to indulge more in culinary delights altogether... I'm not too sure why a sugar tax shouldn't be workable.

Vote:

Ask a Question