Dentist hit my teeth with metal hammer.

Hi.

Just a quickie question.

I had an examination today because of absess under an old bridge and painful teeth, Ache pain, Not sharp pain.
During the examination the dentist hit each of my teeth with a metal object/hammer.
As he started i thought it a bit odd. He hit 1 tooth quite hard.
This tooth did not have sharp pain before the examination.
20 minutes after the examination and tooth hitting i started to get sharp pain when applying any pressure to this particular tooth.

I think he may have cracked the tooth.
The tooth in question is the tooth next to the bridge which now makes my front teeth.

Is it normal to hit teeth with metal objects during an examination ?

Thank You.

I should say that after the dink on my teeth with the metal object the dentist took 2 x-rays. He then said that i had 3 options.
Kick the can down the road and take antibiotics (His own words) or extract the tooth (which is part of the bridge, Destroying the bridge as a result) or have an Apiceptomy. I opted for the later as the bridge was/is in his words " A very fine piece of dentistry."

Also i am NHS so i am wondering how much the Apiceptomy is going to cost.

Once again, Thank you.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No idea how much an apicoectomy will cost - you should ask the dentist. An apicoectomy can be a risky procedure - I would get a 2nd opinion, preferably from an endodontist.

Vote:
Solutions
Ive had a dentist bang on mine recently for the extractions of front top teeth and it turns out that it cracked many others from the vibration of the jaw... and wow I dont think its standard practice unless they are trying to make a customer of someone. He even made me swoosh a liquid in my mouth that tasted toxic and claims it was just the tap water from where I got it done. I suspect now that it was something to make the teeth weakened for that purpose... Im facing a lot of fractures now in several different teeth that have now became troublesome.

Vote:

Ask a Question