Dental Hygiene?

Hello,

My NHS dentist recommended me to attend a dental hygienist to have my teeth scaled. I thanked the dentist but mentioned that my previous dentist had always scaled my teeth as a matter of course - treatment after a check-up, normally lasting between 30 seconds to several minutes, never longer. My dentist said they could scale if I wanted them to, but the hygienist was "better at it than I am".

I find this slightly confusing, that a trained dentist is less proficient at dental hygiene than someone who is not a trained dentist?

It is now 2 years since I have had my teeth scaled & I am beginning to lose patience with the situation. I take great care of my teeth and find that my dental care is actively being undermined by my dentist.

If I want cosmetic dental work undertaken I will opt for that. At the moment all I want is a set of jaws in good condition and maintained by a qualified dentist. Is this unreasonable please?

Many thanks,

KR

Ask a Question