Access to my dental record information

I recently started with a new dentist. I have a phobia of dental work. I don't have as good a rapport with this dentist as my trusted dentist who retired. My old dentist knew about my phobia and knew that the more knowledge I had about everything, the more confidence I had moving forward. I always wanted to know the names (manufacturer, specific material, etc.) of the materials used on me (filling material, adhesives, etching materials, etc.) and he would tell me. I did not feel comfortable asking my new dentist. I had two fillings a month ago (a glass ionomer on the gum line of a crowned upper molar and a large composite on an upper pre-molar) and am having a terrible taste in my mouth ever since. My quality of life is being affected. I would like to start by getting the names of all the materials used on me. Is a dentist required to record specific products used on a patient in the patient's dental record? Do I have a right to know what those are? What would be the best way of asking for this information? She is a very busy dentist and my next appointment for more fillings is two months away and I can't wait to ask in person. I am thinking of seeing an ENT or allergist, etc. to pursue the taste problem and since that is when it started, I really want the names of the products before proceeding. I want to be able to compare it to the materials my dentist previously used as well. Thank you for your time.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It's uncommon to keep really detailed info about brands, adhesives, etching materials etc altho some do given that nowadays it is relatively easy to insert stock phrases into a computer system. By all means, ask your last dentist; just send a polite request and you should be able to get all your history. They are entitled to charge a reasonable fee, but for long term patients we often don't.
I can't think why a different brand of GIC or composite would cause you to have a different taste sensation. It is more common if something like an old filling is leaking.

Vote:

Ask a Question