Crown with post issue

Hi,
I have had a crown with a post at the upper front for approximately 45 years. All those years ago the tooth snapped at the gum due to football/soccer injury.
A root filling was performed and the crown was fitted.
Around 5 years ago the crown came loose and my privately funded dentist refitted it.
All was well until recently and it came loose again. I have moved house since then and I am now registered with a national health system (NHS) dentist and he refitted it. I'm sure he did a good job, but it came loose within a few days. He told me that within the NHS I can only have the tooth taken out and a replacement tooth on a pallet fitted.
The NHS in the UK is the state partially funded dentist system.
As far as I am aware the remaining tooth is sound and it has been there since childhood, albeit only half the size for 45 years.
I would like to know what my options are for a replacement tooth.
Another crown and post? Implant?
I am 68 year old and that may have a bearing on my choices.
Any help appreciated.

John

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Without an Xray, I can only give an opinion based on my experience. 45 years for an RCT/post/crown is an excellent outcome for a front tooth. When they eventually fail, it often means that some of the remaining natural tooth has fractured off, leaving it even weaker than the original accident. It's likely that another post/crown would fail within a short time; better to consider an implant.

Vote:
Without an Xray, I can only give an opinion based on my experience. 45 years for an RCT/post/crown is an excellent outcome for a front tooth. When they eventually fail, it often means that some of the remaining natural tooth has fractured off, leaving it even weaker than the original accident. It's likely that another post/crown would fail within a short time; better to consider an implant.
Thanks for your reply.

I appreciate your advice. I will look into finding a suitable dentist in my area for an implant.

John

Vote:

Ask a Question