Is ceramic crown good after post and core for front tooth

Hi There,
I met with an accident last month and lost one of my rabbit teeth. A dentist helped me in doing a root canal and advised me to do post and core followed by placinng a crown. He is suggesting ceramic crown which comes around $1500 NZD approx.

• Could you please help me to identify which crown type is best for front tooth after post and core?
  • Is Emax crown better than a ceramic crown in my case for front tooth?
Your response is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Emax crowns are aesthetically great for anterior teeth but can be costly for you as the patient. Zirconia (PFZ crown) is another great option.
Depending on what dental lab your dentist uses, there are other ceramic materials available that can be used that look great and are more cost friendly. (I can recommend a dental lab that offers specials for dentists to give to their patients if youre interested)

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
By rabbit tooth you mean central incisor? If it's broken off at gumline, then a cast post and core is best. If you still have some tooth above gumline then maybe prefabricated stainless steel post and composite core. Type of crown doesn't really matter with regards to strength. If your tooth ever breaks it'll be through the post and core, not the crown. eMax gives very natural-looking results (it's a ceramic); standard PFM can also do well, especially if you have a tight bite (ceramic plus metal base); zirconia (it's a ceramic) has no advantage over these two.

Vote:
100% disagree with using PFM for an anterior tooth. I haven't made one of those in over 6 years.

Emax is great but very weak compared to Zirconia.
There are new advanced materials that offer both aesthetics and strength. Pritidenta introduced their new ET (extra translucent) Zirconia material this month in Chicago for Lab Day.

I got my hands on the material and have done about 6 anterior cases with it. So far, nothing but great feedback on it.

Vote:

Ask a Question