Crown The Right Size?

Solutions
I recently had a crown installed on a tooth on the lower left side of my jaw. It feels large to me and has pushed the left side of my mouth out some to the left.
The crown overlaps the tooth behind it which makes flossing different from flossing the other teeth.
The dentist insists it's the right size.
Does this crown meet professional dental standards?
xray after crown.jpg
xray before crown1200x915.jpg

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Did you have the nerve removed from this tooth? It looks like the root canal may have been accessed.
Back to your question: Firstly, these Xrays are not exactly taken at the same angle, so it's a bit hard to compare fully. That said, it's not a great crown - the gum margins are not well defined. It's workable if you can keep it clean. Whether it has pushed other teeth is impossible to say from Xrays alone.
I find it odd that you have kept that tilted wisdom tooth, and then placed an implant in the constricted space. This has meant that the implant crown has had to be made a less-than-ideal shape and angle, which has then complicated the shape of the new crown. It might've been better to extract the wisdom tooth, then put in a single upright implant with a larger crown.

Vote:
Solutions
The nerve was not removed from the tooth. The crown on the tooth forward of the implant crown significantly overlaps the implant crown on the cheek side of my mouth. I have to place floss at a very odd angle to get it between the large crown and the teeth on either side of the crown.
I was given two treatment options for the tooth behind the implant: remove the front part of the tooth
or remove the entire tooth then replace it w/ two implants. Neither option appealed to me.
In March of this year the tooth behind the implant was removed and a bone graft placed in the socket. last month I was told the bone graft is doing well. I don't know when the implant post will be installed and cap placed on the post. How much time usually elapses between a bone graft and placement of an implant stem?

Thanks

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You are reaping the consequences of not removing the 2nd molar earlier. If you hadn't wanted to do that option, I would've refused to place an implant, so he's a silly dentist for allowing you to dictate treatment.
When the dentist says the graft is ready for implant, then you have the opportunity to correct this whole mess. I would suggest removing the crown on the 2nd premolar, and the current implant crown. The make 3 new crowns with better shape to complement each other. Whether this will be possible could be limited by the exit hole of the screw access in the current implant crown. You need someone with skill to look at this problem.

Vote:
Solutions
It's refreshing to get straightforward answers. Thanks. I wanted something done w/ the second molar but the options I was offered didn't sound right. Replacing the crown on the implant might be a problem because while drilling the teeth on the left side to adjust the occlusion the l cheek side cusp was removed and they drilled down to the implant stem. Don't know how much of the stem was removed.
I'm scheduled for January, 2020, to do bone grafts on the lower right side of my mouth. Will try to see him before January 2020 to ask him to put an implant stem where the second molar used to be.
I had a bridge in the lower right that came loose from the rear anchor tooth. The dentist did a root canal that tooth, when he cemented the bridge to the anchor teeth and told me to bite down, the rear tooth scattered. I was disgusted and only had a crown put on the forward tooth, the rear tooth was extracted where the bridge used to be .To replace the bridge, he wanted to place two 4mm implants in the lower right.
4mm? that's .158 of an inch. My current dentist wants to place two 6mm implants in the lower right.

20213 Implant placed in mouth
R1implant3.jpg

Implant 2018

R1implant4i xray 9_19_18.jpg

After bone grafts implants will be placed in lower right jaw
13.JPG

Last edited:

Vote:
Solutions
broken anchor tooth #3 of three unit bridge. bridge and broken tooth removed many years ago.
crown on remaining bridge anchor tooth replaced.

broken tooth bridge.jpg

Vote:

Ask a Question