Do I need a new crown?

I've been very devastated since I had a root canal retreatment on tooth 35 in July, 2019. My first root canal was done 5 years ago and it had been fine. My new dentist found a dark spot on that root in x-ray so he did retreatment. He drilled the old crown, did the job and sealed the hole. It was okay. But when I came home, the hole wasn't fully sealed so I went back a week later. The nightmare began from then. He not only filled up the hole but trimmed down too low and I had a low filling. To compensate, my tooth 45 felt bigger, sore and gum got weaken. I went back to fix the filling, he refused saying it's because my clenching so I need a night guard. (I went to see a different doctor later and he said I don'clench). I tried to get by, but now it's almost three months past and my chewing and speaking felt different. First time, I doubted about TMJ but I didn't have any pain or symptoms.... I searched more, now I am wondering if my jaw muscles have changed to adapt the new occlusion. It's definatley different since it all happened. The new doctor said one tooth doesn't make those changes but I can feel them...:( I suggested a new crown but he turned down... I really don't know how to fix it...is it just my damaged old crown or changed jaw muscle to affect my alignment?

The before and after x-ray shows obvious change in height of tooth 35 as the previous dentist thought my crown was still too high and ground up to the the height to my molar beside.. I know high filling is more problematic but can a low filling cause a change? When I chew or speak in certain pronnounciations, my bottom front teeth hit behind the upper front teeth... it feels like something lightly off the balance since....

Vote:
And FYI, the previous doctor emailed me that he would offer a free crown but I haven't got back because I don't want him to screw up more... I remember he explained that he needed to split my old crown half vertically to cap the new one on but it doesn't make sense to me because I think there should be least damage to save the foundation....

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Crowns can be safely taken off by sectioning as he suggest without damaging underneath. As long as it's done carefully there is very low risk of anything going wrong. If he's offering to make a new crown, this is a part admission that the existing one isn't satisfactory. You would be better asking for your money back and going somewhere else.

Vote:

Ask a Question