Crown and veneer shade question

Hello. I chipped one of my two front teeth when I was a kid. About 5 years ago I had a new crown put in and I hated it. It was giant compared to my other teeth, longer and a bit gray. I decided to fix up my smile now and I'm getting a new crown and 5 porcelain veneers on the top. I went in for prep and have on temporary veneers while I wait. While I was with the dentist he showed me shade options and I felt panicked deciding. The dentist and assistant told me I didn't want "refrigerator white, unnatural looking" teeth which I agreed with them on. They showed me A1 and A2. I felt the A1 looked a little better but the assistant had such strong feelings and said her teeth (under her mask) are A2 and anything less is unnatural and too white looking to look good. The dentist said A2 or A1 would be good but I felt a little pressured into A2--which is what my crown was before but because it was hideous I can't really use that for reference. My temporary veneers are A2 though and my husband immediately said, "Those look more yellow than your natural teeth." I understand porcelain is more translucent but I've been looking in search engines and can't find anyone getting A2 veneers. Is this a common shade? I'm pretty fair skinned and I'm wondering if maybe that's why they look more yellow in my mouth? I feel so conflicted because I want a fairly nature, pretty smile that isn't yellow but also agree with the dentist that I don't want blindingly white. Is A1 pretty white? I know it also has yellow undertones. I feel scared to go in and find the new veneers looking like a handful of corn. Haha. Thanks for any insight.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I like A2 as well but feel A1 can work. Having "natural looking" teeth can get highly subjective and can become unrealistic. If you have light complexion and light hair, lighter teeth won't be too shocking contrast wise.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The shade can vary depending on different lighting environment. Porcelain reflects light differently than enamel.

Vote:

Ask a Question