Contraindicated crown shattered after 2.9 years, is dentist responsible?

Vitablocs are not recommended for crowns over molars and are contraindicated for grinders and clenchers.
I am one of both. Less than 3 years later, my crown on #19 has shattered. Is the dentist liable for
malpractice? The contraindication from Vita-Zahnfabrik dates back to at least 2005. What exculpatory could
the dentist have been thinking? Comments?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There's more to crowns than just the material. There's also thickness and preparation technique. I've never used it but if you have a link to the contraindication I'd like to see it.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thanks for the link. Yep, gotta agree with you, "Hyperfunction:
• Restorations made of VITABLOCS are contraindicated for patients diagnosed with excessive occlusal function, in particular those who grind and clench their teeth. The use of VITABLOCS restorations for devitalized teeth of patients with hyperfunctions is absolutely contraindicated."

So, I'd suggest you write to the dentist and try to have a civil conversation. If you manage to get a replacement crown of a more suitable material, that'd be ideal. Don't get aggressive and ask for pain, suffering etc. We all have insurance for incidents.
For a bruxer I'd prefer full gold or PFM.

Vote:

Ask a Question