Constant Staining

CDT

My daughter is 15, since her wisdom teeth were removed a year ago, she keeps getting greyish staining between her teeth an along her gum line on top and bottom. This is new, has never happened before. I take her for a cleaning every two months and the staining comes off, but within 3 weeks it’s back. No one can tell us why and it’s very frustrating. She has impeccable oral hygiene, no cavities, and no high stain food in her diet at all. We’ve even tried a “white diet” and it still came back. She’s had blood work to test iron level, everything was normal. If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated!

CDT

Could you provide an image of the staining?
The greyish plaque is just starting to come back, she had a cleaning approx 3 weeks ago.

Attachments

• BF25628E-B94A-4E60-AA4B-35CE650D95CE.jpeg
    BF25628E-B94A-4E60-AA4B-35CE650D95CE.jpeg
    495 KB · Views: 18

Vote:

CDT

Is there any chance that the prescribed antibacterial mouthwash she used after her wisdom teeth came out could have upset the natural order or bacteria in her mouth? It started showing up shortly after they were taken out. Wondering if an oral probiotic could help her…?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If she uses prescription mouth rinse called Chlorhexidine, it can cause those stainings. She should stop using the rinse after 2 to 4 weeks.

Vote:

CDT

Thank you. She did use it for 2 weeks following the removal of her wisdom teeth almost a year ago and hasn’t used it since, however, the staining keeps coming back within weeks of a professional cleaning.

Is it possible that the normal balance of bacteria in her mouth has been altered from its use? I’m wondering if an oral probiotic might help her?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It can be difficult to identify the source(s) of staining. Probiotic may help with digestive conditions but not prevent staining or changes in the oral flora.

Vote:

CDT

Do you have any experience/success with oral probiotics? We were recommended a lozenge type that is meant to promote “good” oral bacteria. It had great reviews online for improved oral health and even reduced bad breath. I’m a bit sceptic, but at this point willing to try just about anything.

Vote:

Ask a Question