Constant bad breath

Hi
I’ve had a special type of bad breath for as long as I remember. I brush 2-3 times a day and floss regularly, chew mint gum and try to do all the regular daily teeth and mouth care in general, but I always have this “raw meat” type breath and it has affected my confidence greatly to a point where I no loner speak to anyone closer than 1-2 steps to me and try to communicate by nodding and always trying to keep a distance.
My dad and grandfather both have the same exaxt issue. From what I’ve experienced, the smell only goes away for half an hour to an hour after eating so I always have snacks on me which helps but has caused me to gain some weight. It helps a lot when I stay hydrated so I’ve been trying to drink around 3 litres of water everyday but the smell is still noticeable.
Thank you for reading
I appreciate any help

Hi Parsa

You could try using a mouthwash that contains chlorine dioxide and zinc compounds. I know that sulfur can produce a foul smell and this kind of mouthwash will help fight these off. I would check with your dentist first before you try this, just to make sure this is actually the problems, but I've heard it can really help (for a few hours).

Vote:
Solutions
It could be that you have a benign problem with oesophageal motility. This means that when you swallow food it doesn't go down to your stomach as fast as it does with someone who doesn't have this condition. The fact that members of your family have the same problem could point to something like that. It's not dangerous and you'd need to have something like a barium swallow test to diagnose it. If that's the case then you'd need to avoid eating too much at one sitting and making sure you drink plenty of water to help food go down. It can go hand in hand with gastric reflux so avoiding acid causing foods might help. But this is something you should see your doctor about rather than your dentist.

Vote:

Ask a Question