Problem with bone graft after extraction

I have had an extraction of a front lateral incisor tooth and a placement of a bone graft by a surgeon. Extraction was uneventful. The pain started 2 days later above the extraction site and adjacent tooth. I then got nerve pain up the nose to forehead, sinus pains and pain to ears and painful lymph nodes. Antibiotics for 12 days made all better, but the pain returned. Surgeon did not want to give more antibiotics, although he did agree that most likely bacteria most likely irritate the nerve. He said my body will take care of it. It does not do so after 2 months. I asked for a removal of graft. He told me there is nothing wrong with graft, he will not remove it. Two Months later I still have nerve pain, my face is now numb above mid lip. Something is very wrong. I did bring up to the surgeon that maybe mouth bacteria got between graft and socket, or perhaps I was one of the unlucky people not tolerating this particular donor graft. The dentist told me, he cannot do any more for me, and he released me with the pain and the problem. There is no swelling above the extraction, but I assume, I do not tolerate this graft.
I think I want the graft removed, but how difficult is this? I see no value to turn to neurologist for lifelong pain treatment.
Does anyone have any input?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
  1. There was no indication for antibiotic Rx after the extraction. The fact that it made things better would be largely coincidental.
  2. Bone graft is not a source of pain. Never heard of this before, and no biological reason why it should.
  3. Would suggest you see neurologist or a pain clinic for proper assessment of your signs and symptoms. Ask surgeon for referral so he can include your records.
  4. Keep us updated back here!

Vote:
Thank you for taking time and giving me your thoughtful reply, Matt. I hear you.

Since other people may read this post, I like to add this for anyone being ever in the same situation.
On the topic of antibiotics, sometimes antibiotics are indicated, particularly when people are at risk for osteonecrosis or osteomyelitis. I belong in that category. Since my own surgeon agreed, he thinks in my case bacteria are irritating the facial nerve, I think my raising this point is appropriate. I think, and the surgeon thinks, antibiotics are not to be summarily dismissed. I happen to not be able to take Doxycycline which this surgeon offered to prescribe, so I did not get a prescription. On the topic of bone grafts. 6% of bone grafts fail, I guess for non- compatibility reasons. After all, they are transplants when from cadaver. This information is widely available. Most bone grafts from cadavers I believe are pretreated with antibiotics, so I guess, it only happens very rarely that they contain bacteria, but it does happen.
Has anyone had a problem with a bone graft.

Vote:

Ask a Question