Chance of symptoms from Lingual Nerve Damage during an Alveoloplasty?

I am suffering from constant pain from a bony ridge pressing into my gums. The operation to grind down this bone is called an Alveoloplasty. The location of the bone is behind where I had a lower Wisdom tooth extracted almost a year ago.

A surgeon has agreed to perform this operation but has warned that the Lingual Nerve will “likely be somewhat stretched" in the process. He could not put a percent number on this happening as he says it would depend on my anatomy.

My question: If the Lingual Never is stretched to a moderate degree, does it always cause symptoms? If so is there a way to intelligently guess if the damage will be serious and long lastly or is more likely to be minor and temporary?

Thank you for any and all feedback.

Last edited:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'm not an oral surgeon, but have done many wisdom teeth extractions. It sounds like some paraesthesia is likely that might last from 2 weeks to months. Really, the surgeon should be in a better position to advise you more specifically. For example, ask if he will stop treatment if he thinks you are at risk of more permanent damage.
Also, I don't understand your problem. What is this bony ridge pressing into your gums? Do you mean a torus? Do you have CBCT pics to show us?

Vote:

Ask a Question