Symptoms 3 weeks after extraction

Hi. A few years ago my top left 3rd molar started breaking and eventually completely fell out, leaving what felt like sharp fragments behind. It was infected, which I stupidly treated myself with diluted hydrogen peroxide rinses and Thieves (clove) oil. I saw a dentist in '18 and was to have those remaining roots removed, but never did get around to it. Around the same time, my bottom left 3rd molar had a chunk break off. It didn't hurt, and I didn't do anything about it. A couple months ago I noticed a huge cary in that bottom molar, and both the top roots and bottom tooth were aching at times, sometimes severely but briefly and intermittently. I had them extracted on July 9. Both upper and lower were infected. My left throat hurt when I swallowed for a while, which I read is normal. I've had other symptoms, too, like fullness/aching in my left ear, aching in my left neck, tinnitus which isn't new but has been worse in my left ear, mild aching in my left lower occiput, occasional dull frontal and left headaches and light-headedness, which are not new with my chronic allergies/sinuses. All of these have improved but remain. I still feel "something" around my left ear/throat, especially when I swallow. Is that normal? I'm 53.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Have all your decayed teeth been removed? Do you have any new x-rays? Might be that you have additional cavities that you are not aware of.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Also make sure you don't perhaps have an upper respiratory tract infection or other medical condition, for which you will have to see a medical doctor.

Vote:
I have more cavities to be filled. I'm going to get a pano X-ray today. A neck ultrasound and CT recently showed a lymph node near my left jaw that was hypoechoic and has no fatty hilum, so that's very concerning to me. However, the CT report did say that the surrounding fat stranding suggests reactive adenopathy, and everyone seemed to think it was related to the teeth since they were on the left side and clearly infected. I'm also having a repeat EGD done in August for some esophageal polyps that had eosinophils in them, and a repeat neck ultrasound in September, but I might ask for it to be done sooner. I'm just looking for anything to cling to because I'm afraid of cancer. Overall, symptoms have improved though, so that's a good sign, right?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is a good sign yes. I would still have all the cavities fixed, to rule out any dental origins for your symptoms, before jumping to cancer.

Vote:
Just when I said symptoms have improved, today it seemed the aching (and sometimes it feels kind of like burning or a cool sensation) was worse in my left ear and around the left lower occiput down into the trapezius, and my head just feels kinda funny, sinus pressure and a little light-headed. Could it just be nerve damage/inflammation/infection (+ anxiety probably)? I still have some aching in the left ear and under my left jaw sometimes. Sometimes the teeth around the empty sockets ache. Not terribly but just ache intermittently. I still feel something in my left throat when I swallow, but not like I did right after the extraction. I got the pano done, but my dentist isn't in until Monday. My husband died of cancer about 10 years ago at age 44, and we still have a kid at home, so I'm just really nervous about that. I haven't taken the greatest care of myself over the last decade but am trying to now. Thanks for listening.

Vote:

Ask a Question