Canine problem

Hey since i was 13 years old i got my right canin fixed to get in its place by removing a tooth idk where, i am no dental expert,
but i didn't get my left canine fixed for some reasons and now the years passed by and i'm feeling insecure about it there's any way i can get it fixed ? should i get braces ? how much braces coast for this exact same issue so i can start saving money, i'm 18 years old now if that helps (i am not an english speaker so excuse my bad anglish)
thank you

Attachments

• 23cd0031-1ea8-45e1-b9cf-3220dfc80b92.jpg
    23cd0031-1ea8-45e1-b9cf-3220dfc80b92.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 273
  • abc9c357-56ac-49f5-b957-e6d8cf640932.jpg
    abc9c357-56ac-49f5-b957-e6d8cf640932.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 269
  • 32f6d4bf-9705-4e84-82b9-f790bf2c350c.jpg
    32f6d4bf-9705-4e84-82b9-f790bf2c350c.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 282
Solutions
The easiest thing to do would probably be some minor cosmetic work to bring out the incisor maybe with some composite, but they'd probably want to shave bits off your teeth to make them more even. If you have veneers that means more tooth material would need to be removed so you risk compromising the health of the tooth. The other alternative is orthodontics which is expensive, carries its own risks (see root resorption) and means you have to wear retainers every night the rest of your days. The fourth option is "do nothing". Your teeth look cute the way they are. This is you and unless they are uncomfortable or your jaw hurts I'd leave them as is. Too many people want to change things that give their appearance character. Once dentists start fiddling with your teeth to make them look nice you end up with other issues. It's ok when you're a child and it's all still growing, but once you're an adult it's not so simple. Plus anything you have done now could be upset by the eruption of your wisdom teeth.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It's too deep for composite buildup without making a nasty plaque trap that could lead to decay between your teeth, plus the way you bite would probably be an interference. Orthodontically would be best way, and you could ask about simply fixing this one area of concern rather than full upper and lower braces. And wisdom teeth have no effect on front teeth - common myth, not supported by studies.

Vote:
Solutions
Wisdom teeth closed my gaps from three extractions. Had I not had those spaces they would either have impacted or I'd have crooked teeth. I remember being able to stick my tongue in a gap as a teen. The trouble with studies is that every jaw is different, everyone has different dentition and there are just too many variables. But I reckon that in the UK any dentist not trying to sell invisilgn would try to persuade a patient to have veneers/crowns for this problem. I would say leave it be - there is nothing as strong as a normal, healthy natural tooth.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No, your anecdotal evidence contradicts the studies. In your early teens, the canine teeth drop into place and the common midline diastema automatically closes. Plus, all teeth have a tendency to move forward during life - it's the mechanics of the jaw. A case arose a few years ago where the OS in question removed the wisdom teeth for a patient to "stop crowding at the front". Only problem was that the patient suffered nerve damage, and since the dentist couldn't justify the extractions for his purported reason, he lost the subsequent lawsuit. Crowns or veneers (or Invisalign) will not fix this problem, and you have no experience with these issues.

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
No, your anecdotal evidence contradicts the studies. In your early teens, the canine teeth drop into place and the common midline diastema automatically closes. Plus, all teeth have a tendency to move forward during life - it's the mechanics of the jaw. A case arose a few years ago where the OS in question removed the wisdom teeth for a patient to "stop crowding at the front". Only problem was that the patient suffered nerve damage, and since the dentist couldn't justify the extractions for his purported reason, he lost the subsequent lawsuit. Crowns or veneers (or Invisalign) will not fix this problem, and you have no experience with these issues.
I see we finally have someone on here who makes sense and speaks the truth.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thanks, Zuri. We might have our minor differences about impacted molars, but at least we're trying to offer reasoned and rational answers on this forum. :D
I'm dropping out for a while, have to go mow the lawn!

Vote:
Solutions
As I said, I think the OP shouldn't do anything, this sort of imperfection adds character to the face and looks natural and there's no replacing natural tooth material. Maybe I'm wrong about wisdom teeth affecting front teeth, but in my case a canine rotated after wisdom teeth erupted. It's interesting about the court case, but scientific studies are just observations that have not yet been contradicted with different observations. Dental studies of this type must be pretty cumbersome to execute and require a long term commitment. Do you have a reference to the study in the court case?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You might think that Godbotz doesn't need to do anything, but he is feeling insecure and wants suggestions. When you get lots of scientific studies supporting the same conclusions, you have a consensus that develop into guidelines. It takes more than a single case to overthrow the weight of the other studies. And there are lots of ways studies can be conducted, some are better than others, and carry more weight, e.g. prospective Vs retrospective. Who cares how long these things take or how cumbersome they are? If we only relied on what "we" thought was right, I'd still think the Earth was flat. I can't remember any details of the court case, nor find it on Google - just keep getting malpractice lawyers toting for business.

Vote:

Ask a Question