Broken teeth couple weeks. Yesterday this happened.

Level 7 pain. Can't sleep. I was given 7 days of 500mg Amoxicillin x3 and 600 mg x4 IBU. It looks like this (worse) after 24 hours of meds. Now spreading to left gums. Had soup last night. No chewing. Do I need anything more to function. I want to sleep. Swollen gums all the way up to the top gumline.
20230817_063954E.jpg
20230817_064023E.jpg
20230817_064050E.jpg

Solution
Antibiotics only reaches therapeutic doses after about 48 hours of use. Sometimes it also gets a little bit worse, before it gets better. If the pain or swelling doesn't decrease after 48 hours, and the swelling increases, it might be necessary to go to the ED

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Antibiotics only reaches therapeutic doses after about 48 hours of use. Sometimes it also gets a little bit worse, before it gets better. If the pain or swelling doesn't decrease after 48 hours, and the swelling increases, it might be necessary to go to the ED

Vote:
Solution
Thank you very much. Feel a little better after day 2. Is 7 days enough or do I need 14 days which I think is usual.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Antibiotics (abx) for dental problems are only an emergency measure. Don't wait the full course of abx; go see the dentist now and address the actual problem causing this swelling.
Would you treat an infectected splinter with abx? No, you'd want to get the splinter removed.

Vote:

Ask a Question