Bone graft not healing well

11/14/2014 - I had tooth #19 extracted and gtr-nonresorable barrier as well as a bone graft put in. I was in pain prior to the procedure and was told hat a leaking root canal was causing the discomfort. During the surgery, I was told that there was an infection by one of the roots and that the doctor "scraped it off" completely off the bone. I was told that the entire procedure went perfect and according to plan.
I diligently followed all post-op instructions. As soon as the next day, I noted stuff "falling out" of the treated area. They looked like tiny white/off-white stones. I called the office and informed the doctor but was told that it was normal.
11/24/2014 - I had my 1 week post-op. I was told everything looked great. I complained about things falling out of the area but was told that it was only an insignificant fraction of what was put in. I complained that there was a lot falling out but was assured that I should not worry.
12/16/2014 - I had my 1 month check up today and was told that the area did not heal as it should have and that it healed with a "big indent" and there was no specific reason for it. I asked if it was because I noted all those things falling out and the Dr. said no. He said that everything might have "sunk in" due to the infection that was there prior to the procedure. I was told to come back in 2 months after everything heals completely. He said he would do an x-ray and If the bone was not good for an implant, he would go in and re-do the graft.

Questions:
1. What could cause a graft not to heal properly?
2. Is it true that a pre-existing infection that he said he scraped-off could have caused the walls around the tooth to collapse?
3. Is it a common procedure to re-do a graft after just 3 months of the initial grafting?

I feel a bit uneasy about the situation and would appreciate your expertise and advise.

Thank you.

grafting particles "fall out" when there is a gap. This gap allows micro organisms to enter the site and contaminate the grafting material. If graft is contaminated I would suggest removing it , let the area heal re-enter and regraft.

Vote:

Ask a Question