Exposed bone post graft

Hello
I had extensive work done overseas which included 4 bone grafts in my lower left jaw. I popped a suture in that area from over doing things. This delayed the healing.
Now as time progresses I have quite a solid ridge of bone present 1.5-2cm long and 1-2mm wide; which seems to be growing weekly.
There is mild discomfort, not pain but noticeable that something isn't "right"
I have a highly active job lifting 25kg over 500 times a day sometimes up to 50kg. I have had 3 courses of antibiotics.
I do not smoke and I brush teeth, rinse with salt water rinse and mouth wash multiple times a day.
I am due back at the surgeon in 7 months.
At what point should I start worrying that too much bone is exposed?
What else can be done?
Photo attached.
20180704_193809.jpg

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The site looks like developing epithelial tissue. If it is exposed bone, then the bone is necrotic because it did not receive the necessary blood supply and will exfoliate. Have the surgeon re-eval as needed.

Vote:
The site looks like developing epithelial tissue. If it is exposed bone, then the bone is necrotic because it did not receive the necessary blood supply and will exfoliate. Have the surgeon re-eval as needed.
Thanks.
Am getting flown back on Friday for it to be assessed; would that mean a new bone graft is needed? And if so can it generally be done with the removal of necrotic bone? Or is there a recovery period needed?
Also; what would be the cause of such a thing happening? Is it something I have done (so I can avoid it happening again)

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I don't think it is necrotic bone from this angle. Necrotic bone looks very ugly and uneven. I think it is developing epithelial tissue which is good. Many times with undesired results such as necrotic bone, you cannot avoid it so don't worry, just get proper followups.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'm sorry, I forgot about you going overseas. With the image angle, I think it is healing properly with developing epithelial tissue. I'm not sure if you can send the image to the surgeon for a quick eval. A helpful image would be an x-ray to check bone density. The denser the bone on x-ray, the whiter the image.

Vote:
Yes they wanted an xray/ct scan but I can't find anywhere that will do it here in NZ because I have been overseas.

There was no exposed bone a few weeks ago and it seems to be getting more and more as the weeks go by.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I don't see any urgencies unless you have pain and or swelling. I don't know how to respond in that your surgeon is overseas. Many times it is best to have ready access to proper followups. Sorry I may not be able to answer all of your questions.

Vote:
Thanks for trying.
It is painful noto horrendous but aching. And a splinter of bone came out when I sneezed last week. I will see them on 21st, will up date you if you like.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'm sorry for your discomfort. It is hard for me to examine just by the image. I wish I can do dentistry outside the clinic setting. Of course you can give me an update if you like. Best wishes!

Vote:

Ask a Question