Bad Tooth Ache

Bad Tooth Ache

I'm 18 and I have had bad tooth ache for 72 hours now. The pain is worse in my upper right first molar but sometimes in the molar below it. The pain radiates a lot. They are both heavily filled and the bottom one was filled 6 months ago and has been very sensitive since. The top one has a chip on the back of it and has for over a year. The dentist says I need to get root canal treatment but doesn't know which tooth as both are sensitive (though the bottom is more sensitive) and neither feel painful when tapped. I'm currently on amoxicillin. Do I definitely need root canal? Which tooth is it likely to be? Would a crown be necessary? Sorry I just don't really trust what my dentist says.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It sounds like you might need one based on the symptoms you are describing. Do you perhaps have any x-rays you could share, since that will allow us to give a more detailed opinion?
To determine if a crown is required, you need to have a look at the amount of sound tooth structure that is left. I, however, tell most of my patient to crown the tooth after a certain period, if the tooth has no symptoms and the root canal has been successful, based on a follow-up x-ray.

Vote:

Ask a Question