Bad Breath

T

TenseiOW

Hello. I've suffered from bad breath for basically my entire life. I brush my teeth every single day, twice a day. I've tried using mouth wash, I've tried using better tooth pastes, I clean my tongue regularly and properly, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to go away. Why do I have bad breath that can't go away?

What can I do to stop this? Thanks!

A_s

Solutions
Hello. I've suffered from bad breath for basically my entire life. I brush my teeth every single day, twice a day. I've tried using mouth wash, I've tried using better tooth pastes, I clean my tongue regularly and properly, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to go away. Why do I have bad breath that can't go away?

What can I do to stop this? Thanks!

Hi TenseiOW,
Do you have any stomach reflux issues (e.g. can taste last night's food in the morning, eating late at night, burp etc)? Do you snore at night? Do you have any underlying stomach issues? Do you take any medications/herbals?
Do you have gum disease?
Do you use floss daily?
Do you use tongue scraper daily?

Did you see the dentist to address this before? And what did the dentist say?
When was your last time visit your dentist and how regularly?

Last edited:

Vote:
T

TenseiOW

Hi TenseiOW,
Do you have any stomach reflux issues (e.g. can taste last night's food in the morning, eating late at night, burp etc)? Do you snore at night? Do you have any underlying stomach issues? Do you take any medications/herbals?
Do you have gum disease?
Do you use floss daily?
Do you use tongue scraper daily?

Did you see the dentist to address this before? And what did the dentist say?
When was your last time visit your dentist and how regularly?
From what I know, I don't have any stomach reflux issues, I do not snore at night, I don't have any underlying stomach issues, I don't take any medications at all, I think I may have gum disease? (My gums to me look pink and a bit puffy, not the vivid red that I see on other people's gums), I do not floss at all, I do scrape my tongue daily, I haven't been to the dentist in a long time. But, the last time I went to my dentist, she didn't say anything at all about anything.

What do you think my problem is?

(My teeth are also pretty yellow, I don't know if that would have anything to do with it though)

Vote:

A_s

Solutions
From what I know, I don't have any stomach reflux issues, I do not snore at night, I don't have any underlying stomach issues, I don't take any medications at all, I think I may have gum disease? (My gums to me look pink and a bit puffy, not the vivid red that I see on other people's gums), I do not floss at all, I do scrape my tongue daily, I haven't been to the dentist in a long time. But, the last time I went to my dentist, she didn't say anything at all about anything.

What do you think my problem is?

(My teeth are also pretty yellow, I don't know if that would have anything to do with it though)

I can only provide some possible causes from the information you have given here:
May have underlying stomach issues - need checked/confirmed by the doctor because you may not notice any silent reflux.
Also, do you have any issues with tonsils? Any tonsil stones? Regular inflammation?
And do you drink coffee (a lot)? beer?
Gum disease - any clean (scale and polish) at the dentist regularly (e.g. every few months)?
No flossing - may have food trap - plaque & bacteria accumulation
How long ago was the last dental visit? If it was 2-3 years ago, can go for a visit to find out more information about your oral health.

In terms of teeth - everyone has different teeth colour.

Last edited:

Vote:
T

TenseiOW

I can only provide some possible causes from the information you have given here:
May have underlying stomach issues - need checked/confirmed by the doctor because you may not notice any silent reflux.
And do you drink coffee (a lot)? beer?
Gum disease - any clean (scale and polish) at the dentist regularly (e.g. every few months)?
No flossing - may have food trap - plaque & bacteria accumulation
How long ago was the last dental visit? If it was 2-3 years ago, can go for a visit to find out more information about your oral health.

In terms of teeth - everyone has different teeth colour.
I'll get checked by my doctor to make sure that I don't have any sort of reflux.

To my knowledge I don't have any issues with my tonsils at all. I've never seen any tonsil stones in my mouth, and I don't think I have ever had any sort of inflammation.

I have never drank coffee, the most I drink is apple juice.

I haven't had a regular cleaning at the dentist for a while. My last cleaning was a little over a year ago I think.

I will floss tonight.

If I do have any sort of gum disease (which I think I do have,) how do I get it fixed? Do I just go to the dentist and they clean my gums? Or how does it normally get solved?

Also, would any sort of gum recession contribute to bad breath?

Vote:

A_s

Solutions
I'll get checked by my doctor to make sure that I don't have any sort of reflux.

To my knowledge I don't have any issues with my tonsils at all. I've never seen any tonsil stones in my mouth, and I don't think I have ever had any sort of inflammation.

I have never drank coffee, the most I drink is apple juice.

I haven't had a regular cleaning at the dentist for a while. My last cleaning was a little over a year ago I think.

I will floss tonight.

If I do have any sort of gum disease (which I think I do have,) how do I get it fixed? Do I just go to the dentist and they clean my gums? Or how does it normally get solved?

Also, would any sort of gum recession contribute to bad breath?

If you have gum disease, your dentist will generally tell you which type of gum disease you have and will plan for you according to that. The main things for you to do at home are flossing daily, brush twice daily with fluoride toothpaste.

Can also have a rinse of water after each meal.

Would recommend to go see your dentist - just to make sure the halitosis is not caused by any diseases from the mouth. And if is not from the mouth, then could be other underlying diseases - need to ask the doctor.

Last edited:

Vote:
T

TenseiOW

If you have gum disease, your dentist will generally tell you which type of gum disease you have and will plan for you according to that. The main things for you to do at home are flossing daily, brush twice daily with fluoride toothpaste.

Can also have a rinse of water after each meal.

Would recommend to go see your dentist - just to make sure the halitosis is not caused by any diseases from the mouth. And if is not from the mouth, then could be other underlying diseases - need to ask the doctor.
Alright, thank you! I also have a hawley retainer that I wear 24/7, would that factor into anything? Or no?

Vote:

A_s

Solutions
Alright, thank you! I also have a hawley retainer that I wear 24/7, would that factor into anything? Or no?

If you don't clean retainer properly, food/bacteria/plaque get stuck in there might also contribute to bad breath. But did you have bad breath before/after you start to wear retainer? If it was before - retainer was not the major contributor (it may also play a role).

Last edited:

Vote:
T

TenseiOW

If you don't clean retainer properly, food/bacteria/plaque get stuck in there might also contribute to bad breath. But did you have bad breath before/after you start to wear retainer? If it was before - retainer was not the major contributor (it may also play a role).

I had bad breath before my retainer. By the way, is acid reflux when I taste the food I ate earlier in the day in my mouth when I burp?

Vote:

A_s

Solutions
I had bad breath before my retainer. By the way, is acid reflux when I taste the food I ate earlier in the day in my mouth when I burp?

If you have bad breath before your retainer, then bad breath is likely to be caused by something else (not retainer). But your retainer should always keep clean as mentioned above.

I won't say your bad breath is caused by the reflux, unless you have been seen by your dentist and doctor and they confirm it clinically. This is just one of the possibilities related to your bad breath.

More information if you want to read:
Acid reflux and heartburn more than twice a week may indicate GERD.
Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease is usually associated with heartburn (intermittent retrosternal pain radiating along the oesophagus, worsened by lying down or a recent large meal), or epigastric pain (centred over the xiphisternum). Symptoms include burning pain in the chest that usually occurs after eating and worsens when lying down. When you wake up in the morning, you can taste last night's food.

Mild reflux, however, is common.

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question