Abscess Jaw swelling

I dentist a went to a year ago put a rod in my filling and went too deep which basically ruined my tooth. It is in my 2nd molar. Yesterday I woke up with pain in my molar and got a dentist appointment that day. Went to see the dentist and there’s a infection with a abscess under the tooth. We decided to pull the tooth however because of a Tornado watch they gave me a choice to reschedule for early next week. I figured the pain would be worse for the extraction than what i was experiencing at the time so decided to schedule for Tuesday.

My dentist gave me Amoxicillin to kill the infection. Last night i felt my jaw hurting and I woke up this morning with a swollen jaw in the area of the tooth. The swelling is like a 2 out of 10 but is noticeable. The pain is manageable with OTC. I’ve been taking ibuprofen and amoxicillin. The swelling has been constant, but i’m worried it can change. The TOOTH itself stopped hurting.

however I have health anxiety and i’m worried that the infection will spread more and i’ll die. Also the weekend is coming up and dental is closed on Sundays.

I’m wondering what to do? should i give the amoxicillin more time to kill the infection, or find another dentist to do an emergency extraction? I basically already pre-paid for the extraction with the dental i went to yesterday though. My wife is freaking out which she does anytime something is wrong medically.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Find another dentist ASAP and have the tooth removed. The amoxi will not always stop the infection, it might only control it because you still have the troublesome tooth in place. The 3 Ds of Dentistry: Diagnose, Definitive treatment (in your case extraction), and as only a third resort, Drugs.

Vote:

Ask a Question