A bridge a little too big perhaps

Hi, I am new here and I am really happy that a forum exists to discuss matters of dentistry. I had a bridge put in about a month ago. I originally went to the dentist wanting to get an implant and discussing the pros and cons with him (and the expense) after that we decided that a bridge would be the best option.
I did a bit of research on the topic and went originally to a dentist and was quoted 5K for the implant and it was my second opinion dentist that told me about the bridge option - which of course was a lot cheaper. About 4 days after having the bridge and associated crown, the tooth directly under the crown broke. About 1/4 of the top of the tooth broke off. It always felt as if the crown was pushing a little too much on this tooth. I know this could be random but it seems to me that the tooth (#30 bottom right) broke due to the pressure from the crown above (tooth #3 top right). There is a filling in the tooth that broke. The dentist has not got the best bedside manner and I am not sure whether the crown was probably too big or not. Should he repair the bottom tooth for free - how should I ask about this?
I probably would rather go to another dentist but then there would be more xrays etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
CheersSean

broken tooth.jpg

After you got the bridge did your bite feel normal or did it feel like you were hitting the bridge before your other teeth? If your bite was high it could have contributed to the break on your opposing tooth. It's difficult to say for an absolute certainty without knowing whether there was a preexisting condition on tooth #30. (decay)

Vote:
Hi, thanks very much for the replies. Yes it does feel as if the bridge hits the opposing tooth before any of the other teeth. There were no concerns raised from the xrays of the tooth #30 beforehand.
I think I just have to ask the dentist for his opinion and see what happens.

Cheers

Sean

Vote:

DTS

Usually, you can't generate enough force to brake the tooth. If the tooth was intact, you would get a toothache (most likely). Since the portion of the tooth fractured, you probably had micro-fracture there prior to the bridge insertion. Most likely this cusp would brake anyway, just a matter of time. If your bite felt too high, you could have it adjusted. Not sure you can get tooth repaired for free. Good luck.

Vote:

Ask a Question